These are berry delicious!

Where can I purchase large quantities of frozen delicious farm-fresh berries in the Chicago area?

It's summertime, and the farmer's market berries are DELICIOUS. Those juicy Michigan strawberries, blueberries that ripened on a bush, and oh lord, the raspberries. I would like to eat them year-round.

I have hazy long-ago recollections of my parents ordering large boxes of frozen berries that, at some point near the end of the summer, arrived to some central location on a truck for pickup. I presume some variation of this exists for the Michigan berries.

Do you have any recommendations? Location is Chicago Northwest suburbs. I'm interested in strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, black raspberries, pitted cherries - anything in the berry family. Order for one-time central pickup is fine, as is shipped to me. It's OK if they aren't available right now - tell me when's the time to order! (I know I could buy from the farmer's market and freeze myself, but I suspect flash-frozen straight off the field is tastier, and much less work for me.)
posted by telepanda to Food & Drink (4 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

I've run into These guys at local farmer's markets. The berries were pretty good.
posted by Comrade_robot at 1:20 PM on July 10

I would contact these people: http://mickklugfarm.com/ and ask them if they offer berries frozen. I've never heard of them being offered that way, but I'm also not looking.
posted by blackjack514 at 1:44 PM on July 10

You can easily freeze the fruit yourself. Hull the strawberries as they will become mooshy after freezing, pick over raspberries & blueberries for twigs. Put them on a baking sheet, freeze them, and then put them in ziplock bags in the freezer, to add to pancakes, margaritas, etc.
posted by theora55 at 3:52 PM on July 10 [1 favorite]

Have you tried regular (grocery store) frozen fruit? Especially if you are using it for cooking or blending, it may be what you want, as all producers freeze it when it's perfectly ripe.
posted by Mr.Know-it-some at 7:42 PM on July 10 [1 favorite]

« Older Should I move out or stay?   |   As a consultant, how much should I charge? Newer »