Best ingredients for plastic squeeze bottles that will last awhile?

I bought a set of plastic squeeze bottles for the kitchen - what are some good oils or sauces that are handy to have around in them and won't spoil?

I'm somewhat new to cooking and above my stove I've used these bottles for olive oil and an a rosemary-infused oil. I have 3 more to spare - what should I use them for? I'd prefer more evergreen kinds of suggestions that I won't worry about ingredients going bad. I'd like to make chili oil, but have read it only lasts for a week or so.

Any other suggestions? I'm making all kinds of food so all suggestions are welcome, thanks!
posted by critzer to Food & Drink (15 answers total) 6 users marked this as a favorite

Maple syrup in a squeeze bottle (refrigerated) has prevented a lot of mess in my kitchen.
posted by MonkeyToes at 4:17 PM on July 8 [1 favorite]

Surprise answer: salt. These containers are PERFECT for salt! You'll fill it up, think it's weird, and then when you add salt to your food with it when cooking you'll think "why did I think this was weird?! It's brilliant!" You're welcome.
posted by sockermom at 4:21 PM on July 8 [10 favorites]

I'm a big believer in reducing pedestrian balsamic vinegars by half; letting it cool and having it in a squeeze bottle would be really handy. The vinegar is more syrupy and more intense when reduced. I keep meaning to do this with other vinegars but haven't gotten around to it.

I can't imagine why chili oil would only last a week unless you are using fresh chilis--try dry red pepper flakes as the infusion method?
posted by A Terrible Llama at 4:41 PM on July 8 [1 favorite]

The sichuan-esque oil from this recipe.

Boil your oils to avoid botulism.
posted by aramaic at 5:12 PM on July 8 [1 favorite]

@ A Terrible Llama: I'm not sure either, but every chili oil recipe seems to warn against this. Maybe just pepper flakes are safer?
posted by critzer at 5:48 PM on July 8

I was just in a restaurant bathroom where a plastic squeeze bottle was used as a soap dispenser. Worked. No drips. Kind of cheap looking, but probably easy to clean.

Other ideas: make a sweet vinegary tomatoey sauce to use on sandwiches and in beans. Will help healthy food be delicious.
posted by amtho at 5:55 PM on July 8 [1 favorite]

We use one for dish soap. We fill it from a giant jug we get at Costco.
posted by marylynn at 6:17 PM on July 8

I'd keep soy sauce in one. I buy the giant plastic jugs at the Chinese grocery and fill a stove side bottle.
posted by advicepig at 6:48 PM on July 8

If you're going to use them for oil, be sure to wash them regularly because they sure get gunky, and squeezable plastic is almost impossible to get gunky oil off. Soy sauce is a good idea if you're not already reusing Kikkoman glass cruets; I have one with white vinegar because I use it to make poached eggs often enough.
posted by rhizome at 6:58 PM on July 8

+1 for maple syrup
posted by Fig at 7:08 PM on July 8

Simple syrup
posted by queens86 at 8:43 PM on July 8 [1 favorite]

I use one for sweetened condensed milk to put in coffee. Pro-tip: put it on the counter when you start the water to boil or start the coffee maker. Then it comes out a bit more freely.
posted by guster4lovers at 10:09 PM on July 8 [1 favorite]

Chili oil

I found conflicting advice when I was looking around, but if rosemary oil were okay wouldn't chili oil be too? I genuinely don't know the answer; I'd probably do it if I felt I could use it within a few weeks, and longer if it were in the refrigerator.

This recipe, made with peanut oil, says it last three months.
posted by A Terrible Llama at 11:02 AM on July 9

Boiling your oils, as suggested above, will do nothing to prevent botulism. Killing botulism spores requires cooking in a pressure cooker, following the rules for pressure-canning. Please refrigerate any oils that you prepare without a pressure cooker, and refrigerate after opening those that you do prepare with a pressure cooker, in order to prevent botulism.

(Botulism spores are everywhere, and grow easily in low-oxygen environments such as oil that has fresh or dried herbs, garlic, or chili peppers added to it; low-pH ingredients such as vinegar discourage the growth of botulism if present at high enough concentration.)
posted by artistic verisimilitude at 5:38 PM on July 9 [3 favorites]

This seems like a useful page on the subject.
posted by aramaic at 6:20 PM on July 9 [1 favorite]

« Older Help an American learn to drive on the opposite...   |   Easy reader and picture books about death and... Newer »