Torrid for straight sizes

What clothing store should I shop at if I want clothes like those Torrid sells, but for straight sizes?

I've shopped at Torrid for years, but have made a lifestyle change and lost a significant amount of weight (65 pounds so far, and still going strong!). I have SO many cute outfits from Torrid that I am hesitant to part with, but they don't fit anymore and look like crap on me. When plus-sized, aside from Torrid, I primarily got clothes from Target, didn't really shop in dedicated clothing stores because I felt like nothing would ever fit me. Because of that, I don't really know what the different stores sell. I love Torrid's aesthetic - fashionable, on trend, maybe a little bit of a punky/alternative tilt to things, many different cuts instead of just basic blouse + pants (rompers, jumpsuits, crop tops, off the shoulder, peplum, bodycon, on and on).

I want to shop in brick and mortar stores rather than online, since my body is changing so much and I really need to try things on. I live extremely close to a major US city, Philadelphia, (and close-ish to two others) and many large malls, so assume I have access to most stores. Thank you!

Side note: I know Torrid started as an offshoot of Hot Topic and used to sell mostly goth-ish clothes; that's not what I'm looking for.
posted by srrh to Clothing, Beauty, & Fashion (6 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

Aritzia if you have a little money, F21 if you don't.
posted by Juliet Banana at 8:54 AM on June 19

fashionable, on trend, maybe a little bit of a punky/alternative tilt to things, many different cuts instead of just basic blouse + pants (rompers, jumpsuits, crop tops, off the shoulder, peplum, bodycon, on and on).

This description, plus a quick browse through Torrid's site, makes it sound like you want H&M and Forever 21.
posted by showbiz_liz at 9:29 AM on June 19 [6 favorites]

Forever 21. They have a big arrangement of styles. They also have a plus size section but they run small. (Ex: My mom is a size 11 and wears their 1x).
posted by Sara_NOT_Sarah at 9:34 AM on June 19 [2 favorites]

I love Torrid clothes styling and regularly shop the Forever 21 & H&M plus size ranges. Also Charlotte Ruse, though their quality isn't always as good. You might like Mod Cloth, they get a little twee but get some very interesting stuff in, though they don't really have a lot of actual storefront stores as far as I know.

Just in case you weren't aware Torrid does go down to a size 10/M (00 in Torrid sizing). They don't often have the smaller sizes in store but you can usually find them online or they can get them in for you to try on.
posted by wwax at 9:55 AM on June 19 [6 favorites]

American Eagle is good if you're into the cut-out/lace-up/bajillion straps trend, and they have a lot of off the shoulder tops and rompers as well. Similar price point to Torrid, but better sales and better quality (in my experience, anyway).
posted by mcfighty at 1:23 PM on June 19

Torrid and Hot Topic are the same parent company, and I've seen some of the same items from Torrid available at Hot Topic in "straight" sizes (vs Torrid's plus).
posted by firei at 5:16 PM on June 19

« Older What bit me?   |   Is this suitcase's separated but intact zipper... Newer »