Cosmetic Casing for (Now) External Optical Drive

I've switched from an old, catastrophically failed home-built PC to a laptop. But I will occasionally have use for the 5.25" R/W Blu-ray drive and I've bought a powered USB 3.0 adapter for it. But it's ugly.

Due to disastrous hardware failure, I have been forced to get a new PC (rather then build one myself, which I've always done for twenty-five years) and, in a radical change from the status quo, I've bought a laptop.

I'm donating my 3.5" hard drive to someone else and the two SSDs I've put into enclosures. But I will occasionally have need of my 5.25" internal Blu-ray writer and I've discovered that 5.25" external optical drive enclosures pretty much aren't sold anymore. But I did buy a powered USB 3.0 adapter that works fine.

But this is ugly. I really would like to pretty this up a bit and I just can't figure out how to do so. I'm open to almost any suggestion -- my first thought was making an enclosure from an aluminum sheet myself, but that's probably more trouble than it's worth and the tools I'd need to do this properly are in storage. I know this seems trivial and perhaps I ought to just store the drive away until the few occasions I will need it but ... that solution leaves me unhappy. I'd like this to look a bit more tidy.
posted by Ivan Fyodorovich to Computers & Internet (5 answers total)

Keep it in a drawer. Flower stickers?
posted by sammyo at 6:00 AM on June 14

You can get an external enclosure for your drive. But External Blu-Ray drives are available and would make more sense.

If you don't want to shell out for a new drive. DIY an enclosure out of cardboard. Then cover with craft or wrapping paper. Rubber feet are cheap.
posted by zinon at 6:16 AM on June 14

Old wallpaper also might work. Yellow wallpaper.
posted by Jessica Savitch's Coke Spoon at 6:28 AM on June 14

Thanks for that cardboard link. And, you know, wallpaper might actually work pretty well, assuming that it's quite thick and sturdy. Add some rubber feet, and that might be pretty good. Thanks for the suggestions.
posted by Ivan Fyodorovich at 7:14 AM on June 14

wallpaper might actually work pretty well, assuming that it's quite thick and sturdy

not as stylish as the red shag pile option, just sayin
posted by flabdablet at 7:17 AM on June 14

« Older Readings on anti-oppressive practice in Mental...   |   How to deal with plants invading from parkland? Newer »