On your marks, get set, bake-ry recommendations needed - Toronto

Having watched a lot of the Great British Bake-off lately, I find myself craving British baked goods like those seen on the show. Where can I go to find the kind of pastries, desserts, puddings, sweet buns etc. in Toronto? Sticky toffee pudding is widely available at pubs. Where can I find everything else?
posted by walkinginsunshine to Food & Drink (4 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

Here's a list of places that can help you.
posted by brujita at 12:55 PM on May 19

I would just search for the menu item you're looking for on Yelp.
posted by AppleTurnover at 10:21 PM on May 19

I'd agree with brujita's list, though it's heavily slanted to Irish and Scottish pastries. I don't know of anywhere you'd get English pikelets or a good Eccles Cake. Or a Yum Yum (I has a sad).

If any of the Mrs Bridges locations are still open (I've heard rumours of retirement, and the Eglinton Square location is open/closed/half-open at times), they do very authentic Scottish cakes. The But n Ben (further east) does amazing meat pies.
posted by scruss at 5:41 AM on May 20

Andrea's at Gerrard and Broadview isn't specifically British but she does often have many of the things you've listed. Plus, it's just generally fantastic.
posted by scrute at 6:45 AM on May 20

« Older In search of the perfect bag (or a knockoff of one...   |   This dress, but less expensive Newer »