Glow stick alternatives

Hey! I work in the dive industry, and we use these lights for our divers on a nightly basis. They work pretty well! But they require a special kind of battery, which is annoying, and occasionally they flood and corrode. We're looking for a replacement that uses standard AA batteries, or anything similar enough to a glow-stick that can be used every night without destroying the environment.

The ideal light is:

- rechargeable (or use rechargeable AA or AAA batteries)
- waterproof to 100'
- bright enough to be seen from 100' away (these are used as safety lights, not for navigation)
- durable
- affordable

Thanks, Mefi!
posted by roygbv to Sports, Hobbies, & Recreation (4 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

It looks like that same company sells similar lights that take AA batteries. You could probably use rechargeable AA batteries.

With respect to the flooding, how often are you changing your o-rings? Do you use o-ring grease?
posted by gregr at 2:38 PM on May 10

I really loved my Princeton Tec flashlight back in the day. Looks like they make lights for what you're doing.
posted by so fucking future at 5:05 PM on May 10

UK-based channel swimmers generally seem to use these lights - they are very bright and use CR2032 batteries (google tells me it's possible to get rechargeable CR2032s)
posted by *becca* at 4:19 AM on May 11

fyi, Lithium is a heavy metal. Home Depot accepts lithium batteries for recycling.
posted by theora55 at 1:15 PM on May 12

« Older Unclaimed funds from New York State   |   Downward facing blogs Newer »