What's Masha Reading?

Theater folk and Chekhov lovers, what book do you think Masha is reading in Three Sisters?

I'm playing Masha in a new production in rehearsals now. Stage directions in Chekhov's text have her reading in Act I and the director would like me to have a book at hand in other Acts as well. What novel - or even better series of novels - should she be reading? Production is set in modern times, so almost anything is game.

Already rejected are the Neapolitan novels, the Outlander series, and anything by Jane Austen.
posted by minervous to Media & Arts (5 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

Akhmatova? The timeline is a little bit wrong...
posted by gusandrews at 7:19 PM on March 20

Since you're going to produce a modern (i.e. "anachronistic") performance, Akhmatova doesn't need to bear the burden of keeping time travel safe, and is OK I think ;)

And I'd try some Eastern-bloc SciFi ;)
posted by runcifex at 12:04 AM on March 21 [1 favorite]

Well obviously My Struggle.
posted by miles1972 at 12:09 AM on March 21

Miles1972, that is a hilariously spot-on idea. And runcifex, I'm gonna use Solaris. Thank you all!
posted by minervous at 10:24 AM on March 21

In Russian what she's reading is a книжка, a little book, so Knausgård is right out. I myself would vote for Ibsen or Knut Hamsun, both of whom were popular in Russia at the time (turn of the last century) and seem appropriate to Masha's character.
posted by languagehat at 12:51 PM on March 21

« Older How do I manage up with a manager who is a people...   |   How do I grow a (weirdly-shaped) family? Newer »