Fabric Shopping in Tokyo?

I have a student who is going to be in Tokyo in a few days and I thought I would ask if anyone knows of any fabric stores in Tokyo that sell to the general public.

Anywhere in the city is fine, she is very familiar with the city and transit.

Pretty much anything related to fabric sales except wholesalers.

posted by Tchad to Clothing, Beauty, & Fashion (4 answers total) 6 users marked this as a favorite

Oh yes! If nothing else, catch the Yamanote line to Nippori and check out Nippori fabric town, and Tomato in particular.
posted by superfish at 11:19 AM on March 14 [1 favorite]

Nippori for sure. There's also a sort of textile department store called Okadaya in Shinjuku.
posted by adamrice at 11:30 AM on March 14

I visited Okadaya last year and it's great! A multi-floor fabric store, and they had the traditional patterns I was looking for. Note that, given the address only, it may not be easy for the first-time visitor to locate. But if you print it out (in Japanese, along with a map) and show that to people as soon as you come out of the Shinjuku station East exit, you'll get there eventually, it's not far.
posted by Rash at 3:06 PM on March 14

I asked a similar question a few years ago and here is my review of the suggestions from my fellow Mefites. Tokyo Summary: Nippori is amazing and Tomato is the best. I was just in Japan last May and as far as I can tell the information is still current.
posted by Alison at 6:08 PM on March 14 [1 favorite]

« Older How to prepare an iphone 5 for sale   |   Weekend getaway close to Houston Newer »