A Single Word That Means Something is Both Secure And Private
December 20, 2016 6:11 AM   Subscribe

I'm looking for a word that I can use to describe something that is both Secure AND Private. It would be great if this word is English and an actual word. An actual word in any other language would be fine. A portmanteau might just work as well. Security and Privacy are related, but yet 2 different things, and I'm hoping there's a word I can use that would mean BOTH. e.g. "Our goal is to build something that is Secure & Private" (Inspired somewhat by This Question looking for a Symbol that represents Security)
posted by Blake to Computers & Internet (24 answers total) 4 users marked this as a favorite

"Secure" can already be used to mean both "safe" and "private":
adj. Free from the risk of being intercepted or listened to by unauthorized persons: Only one telephone line in the embassy was secure.
Is there a particular reason "secure" on its own doesn't work for you?
posted by EndsOfInvention at 6:24 AM on December 20, 2016 [4 favorites]

"inviolable" comes close
posted by Prunesquallor at 6:29 AM on December 20, 2016

I'm guessing because it's possible to be secure but non-private. I have little doubt my communications with facebook's servers are secure, but they're clearly not private.

"Vault" evokes both security and privacy, "Our goal is to build a vault for your data". Apple's leaning on enclave now, but even then they refer to it as a 'secure enclave' for your data, and in their regard, it is a physical enclave.
posted by Static Vagabond at 6:35 AM on December 20, 2016

Confidential?
posted by AwkwardPause at 6:56 AM on December 20, 2016 [5 favorites]

Hermetic (as in both the security of a hermetic seal and the privacy of a hermetic life)?

Is your example sentence the only type of use? Do you need a descriptor, as implied, or are you also trying to create a brand?
posted by carmicha at 7:01 AM on December 20, 2016 [1 favorite]

FYEO (for your eyes only).
posted by rada at 7:12 AM on December 20, 2016 [1 favorite]

Shielded.
posted by Obscure Reference at 7:31 AM on December 20, 2016 [1 favorite]

Hermetic (as in both the security of a hermetic seal and the privacy of a hermetic life)?

"Hermetic" (sealed) and "hermitic" (solitary) are different words with unrelated etymologies. If one were going for a double meaning I would suggest "safe" (a locked box and the state of being secure).

"Encrypted" implies both security and privacy, but if you're looking for a brand you probably need something less generic. "Coded" and "encoded" have similar connotations.
posted by jedicus at 7:47 AM on December 20, 2016 [1 favorite]

"Safeguarded", referencing computer security/privacy/safety.
posted by mountainblue at 7:56 AM on December 20, 2016

"Cached" means exactly that -- secure and private.
posted by jdroth at 9:38 AM on December 20, 2016

"Protected"
posted by contraption at 9:59 AM on December 20, 2016 [1 favorite]

I would say, "We offer security and obscurity," as a play on "security by obscurity".

I can't think of an English word which unambiguously represents both at the same time.
posted by clawsoon at 11:56 AM on December 20, 2016

Controlled.
posted by at at 12:06 PM on December 20, 2016

Discreet.
posted by Carol Anne at 12:35 PM on December 20, 2016

Privy
posted by Eddie Mars at 12:47 PM on December 20, 2016

Ensconced?
posted by TheCavorter at 3:00 PM on December 20, 2016

Secured?
posted by bz at 3:04 PM on December 20, 2016

Sequestered.
posted by bz at 3:05 PM on December 20, 2016

How about the very simple: safe.
posted by Youremyworld at 3:14 PM on December 20, 2016 [1 favorite]

In times like these, I poke around onelook.

Impenetrable?
posted by aniola at 8:44 PM on December 20, 2016

sheltered
entrenched
secreted
posted by eye of newt at 9:25 PM on December 20, 2016

Cloistered?
posted by carmicha at 10:47 PM on December 20, 2016

If none of the above suggested words work, how about coining a portmanteau of Secure and Privacy as Securacy or something similar?
posted by thewildgreen at 9:52 PM on December 21, 2016

If none of the above suggested words work, how about coining a portmanteau of Secure and Privacy as Securacy or something similar?

Privacurity?
posted by clawsoon at 10:52 AM on December 22, 2016

« Older Poem about differences of introverts, extroverts...   |   Teach me how to daycare drop off. Newer »

You are not logged in, either login or create an account to post comments