It won't fit.

Advice on connecting a round, metal, foil flex vent from an electric dryer to an oval shaped vent (the vent which runs outside)?

More info: This is a new house with only an electric hookup for the dryer, hence an electric dryer. The metal ductwork that runs from the exterior through the crawlspace and ends in the laundry room has an oval hookup. The electric dryer has a round end on the exhaust vent. Strapping the flex vent to the oval vent has been tried with no success.
I'm looking for a permanent fix for attaching the two so no answers that include duct tape....
I've been told that there are adapters or couplers available but after 10 calls to various repairmen, dealers, etc. i have not been able to find one.
posted by Wallzatcha to Home & Garden (8 answers total)

Could you replace the vent itself? It's one of the easier things to replace around the house and replacement vents are pretty cheap. I know it's winter, but the switch should only take ten minutes if you have the right parts and a few basic tools.
posted by Alison at 9:38 AM on January 3, 2006

You could use oval duct and one of these.

Flex duct is not recommended (if you mean the mylar stuff with a wire stffener). Fire hazard.
posted by Kirth Gerson at 9:42 AM on January 3, 2006

You didn't say *what* you strapped it to the vent with - We use cable ties and it works fine...
posted by DrtyBlvd at 10:56 AM on January 3, 2006

K Gerson, funny you say it's a fire hazard. I talked ot a home inspector who told me the metal flex vent is recommended over plastic venting b/c it is the safe choice.
Thanks for the link seems to show exactly what I have in mind. I'll have to double check the measurements and see if it would work.

I don't know what the straps were called but they are vent straps, the ones that fit over the duct like a ring and tighten with a screw.
posted by Wallzatcha at 11:13 AM on January 3, 2006

The plastic stuff is what I was calling a fire hazard. I think it's mylar. Metal flex is OK.
posted by Kirth Gerson at 12:08 PM on January 3, 2006

Actually, straight metal pipe was recommended to me by a couple of tradespeople. Any flex pipe can catch lint in the wibbles and wobbles and that also can be a significant fire hazard. Doing the vent in straight metal pipe was a bit of a pain, but it's maintenance-free one you set it up.
posted by bonehead at 1:09 PM on January 3, 2006

Plastic flex (the white stuff) is illegal for new dryer venting in BC because of the fire hazard. The metallized stuff is ok but sub optimal for dryer venting.

Hardwall metal pipe is vastly superior to any flex pipe; use it if at all possible. 1' of flex = 10' of metal pipe as far as resistance to flow goes. It is even worse if there are any bends in the flex. At a minimum you should use hard elbows if your venting needs a 90 at the dryer or the wall.

If you go with the flex use several sheet metal screws backed with washers to secure the flex to the oval pipe and then wrap the joint with aluminum HVAC tape (not duct tape). While you have the tape out do the joint at the dryer too.
posted by Mitheral at 1:58 PM on January 3, 2006

Maybe you will find what you need here
or go to the dryer manufacturer's website and look for accessories. Using tape to connect the flexpipe if done correctly and with the right tape is permanent. I have made my own oval to round adaptors. The problem with dryer venting is always the lack of space to turn corners and run adaptors. If you have the space take a section of four inch round pipe and gently squish the crimped end (I am assuming that the oval pipe end you are connecting to is a female end from your description of the lay out) till it is the right shape allow for rebound too. If you need the section really short you may need to have the other end of the pipe that you are bending (the end that needs to remain round) coupled with another section of vent pipe temporarily to keep it from deforming while shaping the. oval. If you have trouble with the pipe coming apart at the crimp seam try orienting the seam differently or running a sheet metal screw through the crimp on the seam to hold it from opening up. Good luck dryer venting can be a real pain in the ass
posted by flummox at 3:23 PM on January 3, 2006

« Older Over the holidays while waitin...   |  Does anyone know what might ma... Newer »