How can match the wallpaper in my kitchen?

I'd like to find the same pattern of wallpaper that's in my kitchen to repair a small spot. If I go to the Home Depot or other home improvement store and they don't have the pattern I want, can they order it? I've checked for a match online but have had no luck finding anything.

I don't have a sample of the pattern (it was already here when I moved in) so I guess I'll need to take a picture of it and bring it to the store, if that's how it works. Apologies if this sounds inane but I've never had to deal with wallpaper before.
posted by Tacodog to Home & Garden (2 answers total)

If you can't find it, why not take a small piece from behind the stove or fridge and transplant it?
posted by acoutu at 11:30 PM on December 29, 2005

Even the biggest wallpaper manufacturers change out their whole catalog every few years. You're just not going to find a match, except in the rarest of cases (something by a famous designer, for instance). The traditional method is indeed to move a bit from a less-visible location, or to find some other way to obscure the marred portion (add a receptacle, a shelf, etc.).

I've also known someone who repainted scars in some really interesting 19th-century wallpaper, but he was an art professor.
posted by dhartung at 12:18 AM on December 30, 2005

« Older Why does my Blue Snowball mock...   |  I am trying to find out inform... Newer »