Bookends in Chicago?

Where would one find a decent set of bookends in Chicago?

I'm trying to find some bookends that are simple and classic for my mom, a school teacher. The bookends that I do seem to see are of the bear/eagle/fox genre. What kinds of stores should I even start with?
posted by still to Shopping (8 answers total)

Any reason you can't or don't want to order them online?
posted by Gator at 8:44 AM on December 19, 2005

I have nowhere to ship it to. I'm up here during the week working, staying at a friends place and then will spend christmas in Indianapolis. Also timing I suppose.
posted by still at 8:52 AM on December 19, 2005

I would imagine that that these are not hard to find...What about furnishing stores such as Crate and Barrel or Room and Board? Marshal Fields on State?
posted by _zed_ at 9:17 AM on December 19, 2005

What is a "decent" set of bookends? I saw a nice pair in Macy's yesterday. They were marble, red and shaped like hearts without being all valentine-y.

You could always rent a mailbox. Mailboxes Etc. will rent by the month, I think.
posted by faceonmars at 9:18 AM on December 19, 2005

Art Institute Gift shop. Lions. Oh my.
posted by FlamingBore at 9:25 AM on December 19, 2005

Barnes and Noble carries a wide selection of bookends. The stores seem to have more than what's mentioned on the website, but if there's something that strikes your fancy here , then take down the number and call a store.
posted by drezdn at 9:35 AM on December 19, 2005

I would second the Art Institute gift shop (on Michigan Avenue) and also suggest:

Frank Lloyd Wright Home & Studio giftshop in Oak Park

Chicago Cultural Center Gift Shop

Chicago Visitors Center Gift Shop

Ten Thousand Villages in Evanston (Purple Line to Main Street stop)

A New Leaf in Old Town...amazing, beautiful gifts...not just plants and flowers. And the store is enormous but separated into many tiny rooms.

Gallery 37 Shop
posted by jeanmari at 10:01 AM on December 19, 2005

Newberry Library Bookstore.
posted by scazza at 10:24 AM on December 19, 2005

« Older Is there a good online resourc...   |  What would the world be like i... Newer »