Why is my apartment so cold?
December 12, 2005 10:00 PM Subscribe
Brownstone filter: Why is my apartment so cold?
posted by cgs to Home & Garden (9 answers total)
Hey AskMeFi...I hope you can give me some tips on this.
- I live on the top floor of a three-story brownstone, very old construction (Brooklyn, NY)
- I have a radiator at each end of the apartment, and a hot pole in the bathroom, in the middle
- The radiators go off once in awhile (once every couple hours)...when they do, things feel fine...in between, however, it gets down to 62F/14C, (I have a thermometer) with the radiators cold to the touch. Both radiators are opened the whole way.
- This apartment is also very hot in the summer. (I've never understood why I get shafted in both the summer and winter. I've asked around the neighborhood and living on the top floor just seems to be like this.)
- When I visit my landlords downstairs, their apartment is very warm.
- I did the plastic-wrap/blow-dryer thing on the windows last winter and it didn't do much.
Is there anything I can do? Can they send more heat up the pipes without getting tropical in their apartment? Do any of you know how these systems work?
Thanks for your time!