To which secret society does this belong?

I want to buy this weird fire screen because it looks awesome, but I want to make sure it's not for some (unnecessarily) sketchy secret society/order. This is in Sweden.
posted by beerbajay to Society & Culture (7 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

That looks awesome! Googling came up with a 'thaumaturgic triangle' for at least the triangle within a circle--I'll let you decide whether to follow the links. Weird as hell. But nothing as specific as the two encircled triangles shooting lightning bolts. Who cares what it is--just get it and douse it with some holy water.
posted by resurrexit at 12:01 PM on September 4

I strongly suspect it is a reference to the Illuminati -- triangles and radiating rays/bolts are very common in Illuminati imagery.
posted by Rock Steady at 12:27 PM on September 4 [6 favorites]

It could also, you know, be decorative. Google "sun fireplace screen" and you will see that the sun is a common decorative element in such things (hint: fire). If you look closely, the center of the triangle appears to have a little bit of blue glass in it, which might light up in front of a burning fire.

I guess if you squint at it, it could look like that funky symbol on top of Aleister Crowley's hat, but I would rather attribute this to the work of an artist instead of conspiracy theorists overactive imaginations.
posted by Marie Mon Dieu at 12:50 PM on September 4

The pyramid in the circle is used by all kinds of religious and magic organizations and political and corporate organizations.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Sun_(occult_symbol)
Looks like a hybrid of a Black Sun and other assorted occult type symbols.
posted by KogeLiz at 1:36 PM on September 4 [1 favorite]

Triangle is an old symbol for the element of fire. And yes, it's been used in alchemy recipes.
posted by Rabarberofficer at 1:50 PM on September 4

It's totally great. Buy it! Don't think it means warlocks will start knocking on your door suddenly. Or Masons, for that matter. Great discovery!
posted by Bella Donna at 4:20 PM on September 4

Forgot to add that I lived in Sweden for a total of 9 years and it would have to be a super secret society because I never heard or saw anything like it while I was there. Much to my sorrow, now that I've seen it.
posted by Bella Donna at 4:21 PM on September 4

« Older Our son, who recently turned t...   |  What are teenagers, and colleg... Newer »