Mouthful of cat medicine

I was fighting with the cat this morning trying to get him to take clindamyacin hydrochloride which had been proscribed after dental surgery. Anyway, he was wriggling all around and the dropper squirted everywhere and not quite sure how it happened but I ended up with a mouthful of cat medicine. I rinsed my mouth out a few times. I figured this was probably not toxic since regular clindamycin is a people drug, but do I need to call anyone to confirm this?
posted by mermily to Health & Fitness (9 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

prescribed…
posted by mermily at 3:49 AM on September 3

As long as you're not allergic to clindamycin you'll be fine.
Foul tasting stuff, isn't it? My cat would only take it if I mixed it with a bit of water from a can of tuna. Much less traumatic for all involved.
posted by makonan at 3:51 AM on September 3

My favourite vet, no longer practising unfortunately, made a habit of tasting every new oral medication that came into his practice to get an idea of exactly what it was he was asking his fuzzy little patients to put up with. As far as I know he never suffered any ill effects from doing that.

I am unaware of any veterinary drug with an outrageously disproportionate dose response in humans. You are probably much more massive than your cat. I wouldn't worry about it.
posted by flabdablet at 4:21 AM on September 3 [8 favorites]

You're totally fine. You don't want to take livestock drugs, but 99% of drugs for domestic pets are human-equivalent and are grand. About 80% are manufactured by the exact same company in the exact same plant as well. The ones that are not OK to take are things like eyedrops, which often have extra ingredients like steroids to stop the dog itching and rubbing. (This explains why I am not using my dog's eyedrops to treat the conjunctivitis she gave me, even though we have been prescribed nearly identical medications.)
posted by DarlingBri at 4:47 AM on September 3

This has happened to me repeatedly. (Hard to explain, isn't it? Sometimes... you get the medication instead of the cat.) I lived. This occurred less as I began working on my technique; for the liquid-by-mouth stuff, I had to burrito el gato fully or else it was a disaster.
posted by RJ Reynolds at 5:22 AM on September 3 [1 favorite]

I was fighting with the cat this morning trying to get him to take clindamyacin hydrochloride...

As a related aside...Have you tried to make a kitty burrito?

YMMV, depending on your cat, though. Our big guy is still a handful even in the burrito.
posted by Thorzdad at 5:26 AM on September 3 [3 favorites]

For an expert opinion, call your local poison control center.
posted by grouse at 6:11 AM on September 3 [2 favorites]

You're totally fine. You don't want to take livestock drugs, but 99% of drugs for domestic pets are human-equivalent and are grand.

Can confirm this. Imagine my surprise when I found out the Alprazolam I was giving my stressed out cat was actually liquid Xanax.

Doc, my kitty is still stressed... needs a refill on his meds.... again, I know.....
posted by St. Peepsburg at 6:54 AM on September 3 [1 favorite]

Not to worry. You're fine. Most animal medicine is people medicine too.
posted by Ruthless Bunny at 5:23 PM on September 3

« Older My memaw turns 80 (!) next yea...   |  A question about niceties when... Newer »