Help identify this plant

What type of plant is this (pic 1, pic 2)? It looks a little like bamboo, but the stalk is much thinner.
posted by roaring beast to Science & Nature (10 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

Why don't you think it's bamboo? Bamboo can be quite thin. Source: I've lived in two houses with yards choked by bamboo, ranging from skinny to chunky.
posted by Coatlicue at 8:23 PM on September 2

I'm pretty sure it looks like bamboo because it's bamboo.
posted by foodgeek at 8:25 PM on September 2

It looks like a clump of bamboo. There are many different types of bamboo with highly variable characteristics. Not all types have thick and tall trunks/stems.
posted by Seymour Zamboni at 8:25 PM on September 2

That shit is bamboo. Kill it with fire and roundup before it is too late.
posted by jeffamaphone at 8:59 PM on September 2 [4 favorites]

Bamboo. I'd hold off on the nuking from orbit until you take a stalk w/ leaves into a reputable garden shop, botanical garden or local university extension to get it ID'd. Not all bamboo is virulently invasive.
posted by Emperor SnooKloze at 12:24 AM on September 3 [1 favorite]

Certainly Bamboo. My neighbors as a child were Chinese. Very nice couple. They had a circle of Bamboo about 4 feet in diameter that looked almost identical to what you have. They moved away years ago but the bamboo remains. What has remained doesn't seem to be very invasive, it grows up quite a bit and fairly quickly, but it is easily maintained by the current (non Chinese) owners.

Occasionally my dad (with their permission of course) will get a few stalks of it for various crazy notions he has. He likes to play with the strength/flexibility of it in his shop.
posted by Twain Device at 5:30 AM on September 3

What beautiful bamboo you have!
posted by elf27 at 7:08 AM on September 3

Not all bamboo is virulently invasive.

Yes, all species of "bamboo" are exotic invasives in North America. What is not exotic and less invasive is a set of native plants in the same genus that people refer to as "cane".
posted by The 10th Regiment of Foot at 7:16 AM on September 3

Um ... ok, so bamboo it is! Thanks everyone!
posted by roaring beast at 12:27 PM on September 3

10th Reg - It does look a lot like cane (Arundinaria) from the pics I'm seeing online.
posted by roaring beast at 12:34 PM on September 3

« Older Looking at the Guardians of th...   |  My daughter just turned 10 and... Newer »