Do I eat or water this bunch of "organic produce"?

A friend left a huge bag of produce from the farmers market on my doorstep, but I have no idea what this is. Do you?

It has a band that says it's organic produce, but it looks like some kind of cut plant; they do have organic plants and cut flowers at the market so it could be either. It doesn't have any notable scent other than "plant matter" and my friend doesn't know what it is either, so I'm turning to the hive mind. If you can ID it, tips on preparing or caring for would be great.
posted by Room 641-A to Grab Bag (13 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite

I'm pretty sure that's purslane. I haven't had it since I was kid but IIRC it has kind of a lemony flavor. I think most people add the leaves to salad.
posted by Beti at 5:21 PM on August 28 [4 favorites]

Purslane!
posted by mollymayhem at 5:22 PM on August 28 [1 favorite]

I think that's that weed that grows in a radial pattern and is quite tasty as salad, not to mention easy and satisfying to pull out of the ground. My salads were always salt, black vinegar, ginger, sugar, and sesame oil, but I'm sure other vinaigrettes would be fine as well. Treat it like a green?
posted by batter_my_heart at 5:22 PM on August 28 [1 favorite]

Purslane! Commonly thought of as a weed, but super nutritious. It can be cooked, but I've always put it in salads or anywhere a vegetable crunch is desired.
posted by O9scar at 5:23 PM on August 28

You would like to prepare your beautiful purslane? Check this out.
posted by bearwife at 5:24 PM on August 28 [3 favorites]

You guys are awesome, thank you!

We're in the middle of a heat wave, so some kind of salad it is!

(Also, I know it's not "decipher my deceased relatives writing" epic, but still, four minutes. Not too shabby.)
posted by Room 641-A at 5:31 PM on August 28 [2 favorites]

Purslane also has more omega 3s than other leafy greens.
posted by Blitz at 6:41 PM on August 28 [1 favorite]

Purslane is literally my favorite thing that I've gotten in my CSA this year. So amazingly good! You are in for some happy salad time.
posted by silverstatue at 7:34 PM on August 28

Verdolagas, in Spanish, in case you want to look for recipes. They are delicious with pork meat and green tomatillo sauce.
posted by clearlydemon at 10:15 PM on August 28

What, really? I can't go 12 feet in Denver without seeing this stuff.
posted by deludingmyself at 8:39 AM on August 29

Purslane makes a great pesto!
posted by suedehead at 8:45 AM on August 29

You are so lucky! This is one of my favorite salads.
posted by MrBobinski at 5:15 PM on August 29

Wow, this stuff is great! Based on your answers I used the cherry tomatoes and cukes I also got with other stuff on hand and made a big salad like the ones mentioned here and in the linked recipes.

Coincidentally (or seasonally, maybe!) I also happened to get some tomatillos and a few chiles so I saved half of it to make this dish. It sounds great, thanks.
posted by Room 641-A at 8:36 AM on August 31

« Older I'm looking to purchase a medi...   |  So, I know that MeFi bikers ar... Newer »