All the hotels are FULL ON TUESDAY

All the hotels in my area are booked solid on Tuesday night, full to capacity. I don't hotel often, but this strikes me as unusual. Why Tuesday?
posted by shipbreaker to Travel & Transportation (15 answers total)

Is there an event in your city? A convention or concert or something? In my experience that is usually the explanation.
posted by AV at 6:02 PM on August 25 [3 favorites]

You can't get a hotel room in San Francisco for love or money during Dreamforce.

So what date and what city?
posted by Ruthless Bunny at 6:04 PM on August 25

Usually a sporting event, a convention, religious gathering, or some sort of natural disaster nearby. Call the local chamber of commerce or city hall and ask.
posted by 724A at 6:24 PM on August 25

Why Tuesday?

I suggest asking them. If they're packed solid on a weeknight they probably know why.
posted by jessamyn at 6:26 PM on August 25 [10 favorites]

I agree with Jessamyn. Call their front desk. It's not classified information why a hotel books up, and they're happy to tell you why they can't take your sweet, sweet money at this time.
posted by xingcat at 6:51 PM on August 25 [1 favorite]

Tomorrow Tuesday, next Tuesday, or all Tuesdays always?
posted by Hermione Granger at 7:16 PM on August 25

This makes sense to me, I would think Tuesday and Wednesday are the busiest nights for business travel.
posted by seesom at 7:48 PM on August 25

Business travel. (Source - sister who works in hotels).
posted by kjs4 at 8:09 PM on August 25

Yeah Tuesdays are big for business travel. For one thing, airfares are generally lower for Tuesday travel. For another, it's near the beginning of the business week, so a lot can get done, and the hosts have had Monday to prepare.
posted by trip and a half at 9:14 PM on August 25

This is the last week before a lot of people have to go back to school/work. So maybe last minute vacations?
posted by littlesq at 10:03 PM on August 25

Tourists? This week in the UK, Monday was a public holiday, and it's still the school summer holidays, so it's a big week for families going on holiday (since parents only need to use 4 days off from work).
posted by EndsOfInvention at 2:30 AM on August 26

Agree with trip and a half. My husband and I moved cross-country and tried to get a room in Junction City, KS on a Monday night. Nothing available at the first four hotels we tried. The clerk shrugged and said, business travel.
posted by pepper bird at 6:50 AM on August 26

I live in a college town, and hotels tend to get full this whole week with parents dropping their freshman kids off and helping them move in.
posted by The Underpants Monster at 7:38 AM on August 26

Tuesday and Wednesday are the busiest nights for hotels as far as business travelers are concerned.

Also, I didn't even think about the back-to-college thing.
posted by tckma at 8:38 AM on August 26

Labor Day is Monday. Maybe people are taking advantage of the last long weekend before school starts and making it a bit longer for a trip with their children.
posted by myselfasme at 8:42 AM on August 26

« Older Which episode of "The Hou...   |  Let's say you wanted to find t... Newer »