Paint me a picture. A picture of Austin, Texas.
August 23, 2014 12:37 PM Subscribe
I'm a 31-year-old female looking to relocate to a cool, fun and relatively inexpensive urban area. What can you tell me about Austin, Texas?
posted by shelle to Grab Bag (23 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite
I've heard so much about how awesome and up-and-coming of a young urban area Austin is — the music scene, youth culture, etc. And that is all great. But I was hoping to get a clearer picture of daily life there.
One of my biggest points of consideration in relocating is career-related: Is Austin a good place to be young and building a career in communications/media?
I would also super-appreciate feedback regarding your run-of-the-mill daily living stuff:
- Any insights into the cost/quality of life would be helpful.
- What's public transit like? Will I need a car?
- What is the creative community like? I'm interested in writing and book groups.
- How would you characterize the night life?
- What are your favorite things about living there? If you're a transplant, what do you like most about Austin, compared with any other city/cities you may have lived in?
- Overall impressions/vibes?
Many thanks, Metafilter peeps!