Should I take this job?

Agonizing over my future career. Snowflakes inside.

At the end of July I got fired from my previous job behind some bullshit which doesn't merit discussing. I'm looking at the ensuing job hunt as an opportunity to take the next step in my career. I have customer service and administrative skills and I've worked for the past 3.5 years in a health-care setting. (Before that I was in college.)

So far I've had four in-person interviews. Two were meh. One was for a secretary in a PT's office, which is probably my best prospect currently. The other was for a job that seemed great and which I was really excited about--I'd be a combination shift scheduler and personal living assistant in a retirement home. It would give me great experience in two areas that I'm interested in developing, they were willing to pay me a reasonable amount, the people I would be working with seemed amiable.

Today they call to tell me that they've filled that position, but they do want to hire me on as a personal living assistant. It pays less than I've made in my brief professional career and it wouldn't be a guaranteed 40 hours a week. On paper, it looks terrible. But I'm strangely attracted to the prospect. I think I'd enjoy the work and the experience. I won't starve on what they're offering and my partner is also bringing in income. I hate being unemployed and I want to get back to work, and this doesn't seem like such a bad fit all things considered. But I'm also feeling depressed about the whole situation and that might be distorting my good judgment. What should I do?
posted by zeusianfog to Work & Money (3 answers total)

I would probably take the job. Taking a job is not a huge commitment: if you find that you hate it, feel under appreciated or under paid, you can always leave and find another one. If you don't take it, you may well kick yourself about it down the road, and you'll never know if it would have worked or not.
posted by Cannon Fodder at 11:54 PM on August 21 [3 favorites]

There doesn't seem to be any downside in taking the job. If it's not full time, you'll have the time and energy to look for something else if you don't like it.

If you'd rather the secretary job and haven't heard back about it yet, I'd call them and let them know that you've about to take another job and if they want you, they'd need to offer you something quickly.
posted by pianissimo at 1:48 AM on August 22 [2 favorites]

Can you talk to them and ask if there's any opportunity for advancement or other types of work if you start with the personal living assistant position?
posted by chickenmagazine at 5:02 AM on August 22 [1 favorite]

« Older We're trying to decide whether...   |  I would like to pick a name fo... Newer »