A thousand reasons to toast to!

My friend is getting married. For her bachelorette's party I'd like to fill a tombola with reasons to toast to.

The idea behind it is that often when people have drinks with friends, no one can think of anything fast enough. In those situations, it might be useful to have a "machine" that thinks for you. All leftover toast proposals (I don't suppose we'll drink that much as we will be on the road) should stay with her and her husband as a sort of pre-wedding present.

"World peace" is good but a bit too general, "Groundhog Day" might be too specific, unless they get the reference. Ideally to me (though feel free to be very creative), they would be a perfect mix of both, as a specific situation which is universal and touches most or a lot of humankind.

A couple of (specific) ones we have so far:

"To Chile, where the (German) bride and (Mexican) groom met!"
"To organized chaos!"
"To two wonderful wedding parties in Mexico and Germany!"
"To this lovely weather" (whatever it is).

As you can see, we need a lot of help! Thank you in advance for your ideas!!
posted by ipsative to Food & Drink (4 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

Here's to ever after.

Here's to happily ever after.

May your love be like the misty rain, gentle coming in but flooding the river.
-- Traditional African

Insomuch as love grows in you, so beauty grows. For love is the beauty of the soul.
-- St. Augustine

We love because it's the only true adventure.
-- Nikki Giovanni

When love reigns, the impossible may be attained.
-- Indian proverb

Love is friendship set to music.

To two becoming one.

Are you in the US? Change the motto of the US, E pluribus unum, to Latin for "Out of two, one." Maybe a Latin scholar will come along and suggest what that might be.
posted by lharmon at 6:01 AM on August 19 [1 favorite]

To absent friends.
posted by BusyBusyBusy at 7:36 AM on August 19 [1 favorite]

You could go a bit silly with things like:

- to a well fitting wedding dress
- to comfy shoes
- to a memorable wedding night

Or something like that:

- to not getting lost in translation
- to cross-cultural communication
- to globalization

If you tell us a little more about the couple we might have better ideas.
posted by travelwithcats at 8:46 AM on August 19 [1 favorite]

Thank you for your great replies, love your answers!

The groom is: a computer engineer from Oaxaca. I don't know him that well, I know that he is rather shy, but sweet and kind, and loves his family.
The bride (my friend): studied German and Spanish Literature, and works in a communications company. She has written a book, plays field hockey (that is where we met, she is very good - any sports toasts are welcome!), comes from Nuremberg and likes to travel, as well as the groom. She gets sunburned easily, is very little (in size), kind and sweet. She spent some time in Spain and in Chile, doing an internship in a newspaper (so: anything with media!).
posted by ipsative at 1:52 PM on August 19

« Older A few days ago I got high-spee...   |  How does (or how might) Daniel... Newer »