Crowdsourcing the first day in Forensic Psych

I'm teaching one of my favorite classes again this semester -- Forensic psych. Most of it is prepped from previous semesters, but with the recent events in Ferguson, I wanted to add in a day at the beginning dealing with police & policing, race, media effects, and so on.

The problem is that class starts on Thursday, and my brain doesn't work as well as it should due to my living with an adorable 6 month old who also happens to be a poor sleeper. I'm sure I'd overlook some good stuff through just a google search. Can anyone help me out? Maybe you have something perfect saved to your favorites. I'm looking for articles in the popular media that relate to these topics, from insightful blog posts to long form articles. Even editorial cartoons. I've got the experimental social psych aspects covered, so anything else is what I'm looking for. How are people outside of the field reflecting on these issues, what other past cases have stood out, what solutions are people proposing, etc.
posted by bizzyb to Education (3 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

The Front Lines of Ferguson from Grantland and Paramilitary police - Cops or soldiers? from the Economist are two of the more memorable pieces I've read in the last few days.
posted by rtha at 8:11 AM on August 18

Not specifically about Ferguson but more generally about police shootings, I found the article "What I did after police killed my son" compelling -- particularly the following, "In 129 years since police and fire commissions were created in the state of Wisconsin, we could not find a single ruling by a police department, an inquest or a police commission that a shooting was unjustified. There was one shooting we found, in 2005, that was ruled justified by the department and an inquest, but additional evidence provided by citizens caused the DA to charge the officer. The city of Milwaukee settled with a confidentiality agreement and the facts of that sealed. The officer involved committed suicide."

[What he did was to drive the enactment of a state law in Wisconsin that all police-related deaths be investigated by an outside agency.]
posted by elmay at 1:54 PM on August 18 [1 favorite]

« Older I've got an appointment with m...   |  I'm up for a promotion at work... Newer »