Madagascar mobile networks

I'm going to be in Madagascar this winter on holiday, and I would like to have access to mobile data, to the extent that I can. I don't know how the coverage is, nor how to go about getting a SIM for my phone. What carriers exist, which one is best, and what data plan should I consider?
posted by ChrisR to Travel & Transportation around Madagascar (1 answer total)

Any chance you're a Verizon customer? They have a global traveler program where you can borrow a phone (for a $20 shipping fee) that will work wherever you travel (they check first that your own phone won't work). The data plans vary a lot by country, but they provide all that info and sometimes there's a monthly plan you can add on for the trip that saves you money. I would be shocked if Verizon was the only cell company who had a service like that.
posted by parkerjackson at 5:27 AM on August 16

« Older I spend a lot of time out and ...   |  A while back, a journalist wit... Newer »