Make up for conflicted noob
August 14, 2014 1:13 PM Subscribe
I would like to wear make up. I'm 39 and a professional and I would like to look put together and not like I fell out of bed in the morning (even when I did). This question is a bit of a mess of insecurities, please help me get started?
I read this question
and found it useful in general, but would like an answer for specific questions:
posted by Omnomnom to Clothing, Beauty, & Fashion (44 answers total) 34 users marked this as a favorite
- I want to use very few products and look "natural". I want this to be uncomplicated to begin with, so I can expand from there. But which products?
- The few times I wore make up it was for balls and weddings and I went to the mac counter and had them do it for me, then just bought a couple of products and repeated what they showed me. It was fine but it wasn't "me", and definitely too much for every day. On the plus side I have a bunch of products already, including some nice shades of eyeshadow.
- All the advice seemed to disagree! One lady recommended tinted moisturizer (I think...it just covered everything in tan!) and another said my skin was blemish free and didn't need it.
- What I hate about make up is that I can't let anyone touch, kiss or lick (I have a baby and a toddler) my face, I can't blow my nose or rub my eyes without it coming off, right? What do people with kids and annoying pets do? What do you do with kisses from husbands?
- If I use tinted moisturizer, don't I need more things like blush to make me look less mask-like?
- And lipstick! What can I slap on without faffing about with lipliners etc. that won't bleed all over my face in an hour or two? I kind of want lipstick.
- I shape my eyebrows pretty rigorously, as I have bushy ones, and I think they look nice now. Not pencil thin by any means, but formed. I doubt I need any more colour in them, they're pretty strongly defined. I do have one of those clear liquids to brush on that hold them in place, but do I need that?
- I am half Asian and depending on several factors have an epicanthic fold only half the time. WTF face! (Bonus question: Wasn't there a post on Metafilter about this Asian lady showing how to do make up on Asian faces?)
- Can I use eyeliner without eyeshadow, or eyeshadow without eyeliner, and have it not look lazily slapped on or weird? Eyeliner seems simplest? Though, maybe not with the epicanthic indecisiveness going on.
- Does mascara make any difference on dark eyelashes? It seems a waste of time?
- How often do you refresh make up? It seems to go invisible or grotty almost immediately.
Basically, I am tremendously unsure of what I am doing and whether it looks good once I've done it. It just seems weird and I feel like all the ladies with decades of experience under their belts must think I look pathetic. My husband is no help, he prefers no-make up me.
Argh! help me get started?