What part time jobs should I check out?

Help me figure out what jobs I should be looking for. I have excellent office and computer skills, including the full Office suite and quickbooks. Additionally, I am currently a webmaster and have some coding, design, HTML and CSS skills. I need to make at least $15/hour and work 20 hours a week - this is non-negotiable.

I do not wish to be self-employed, but I also don't particularly care about benefits. I need to be able to eat every two hours (although it only takes me about 5 minutes to eat), and have easy access to a restroom. (That means things like canvassing door-to-door are out.) I'd love to work in an environment staffed mostly by women with mostly female clients, but I am flexible on this count. I don't care whether I'm in an office, call center, movie theater, massage parlor, spa, book store, etc. It seems like most jobs that I'm able to find in the $15/hour range are exclusively full-time. What sorts of jobs should I be looking at? I don't care about opportunity for advancement, just a steady paycheck and part-time.
posted by stoneweaver to Work & Money (12 answers total) 10 users marked this as a favorite

You might not wish to be self-employed, but with that skillset, doing some front-end web development work would be a pretty clear option and allow you to work from home without going full-time. Getting exactly 20 hours a week - that's the tricky part; freelance work is feast-or-famine at the best of times.
posted by Tomorrowful at 2:12 PM on August 13 [1 favorite]

Perhaps I should clarify - I intend to be filling the other 20 hours a week doing freelance. I'm just not the sort that's really able to deal with the sort of uncertainty of feast/famine for my mandatory monthly bills. I want to insure that I'm able to cover my expenses while I build up a steady and reliable client base.
posted by stoneweaver at 2:20 PM on August 13

For office/admin/computer skills, I'd look for small businesses that can't afford or don't need a full-time admin, data-entry, receptionist, etc type person.

Also maybe something like reception at a salon?
posted by radioamy at 2:21 PM on August 13 [6 favorites]

I would talk to a temp/staffing agency. There are lots of companies who rent lots of people to "do Excel," and more of those positions are/can be part time (because there's less fixed cost to the company).
posted by PMdixon at 2:43 PM on August 13 [1 favorite]

Bookkeeper for small buisiness or small nonprofit. Anyone can learn Quickbooks. You can often get more than 15/hr (but pay varies widely).
posted by latkes at 2:50 PM on August 13 [3 favorites]

Oh, duh, you already have Quickbooks skills. Yes, bookkeeper. Get a "bookkeeping for dummies" or some equivalent. This was a very good and consistent part-time gig for me for a number of years.
posted by latkes at 2:51 PM on August 13 [1 favorite]

Law firms and investment firms hire people with office skills for "word processing" or to be "document specialists" or "presentation specialists". If you're in a large city, these jobs are filled during all shifts. So you could work a weekend shift, if you wanted, or night shift, or 3-day shift, etc. Pay is usually at least $25/hr I think.
posted by three_red_balloons at 3:08 PM on August 13 [1 favorite]

That is almost exactly the job description we put out for a job at my church. It included things like doing the newsletter, keeping up with a database of members, updating events on the website, etc. We posted the job announcement on a website for nonprofit jobs. You might find similar if you focus on nonprofits and small businesses.
posted by bbq_ribs at 3:31 PM on August 13

bbq_ribs makes a good point about nonprofits (basically in the same boat as small businesses as I mentioned above). You can find nonprofit jobs at idealist.org.
posted by radioamy at 3:58 PM on August 13 [1 favorite]

You should definitely look at all of the universities and community colleges in your area. I've done part-time work as an administrative assistant at a university and there were always plenty of openings that would meet your requirements.
posted by shesbookish at 4:33 PM on August 13 [1 favorite]

Are you able to be on your feet for extended periods? If you're in a city, you could make your target amount as a hostess at a nice-ish to fancy restaurant a couple shifts a week. Make up fine dining experience if you need to.
posted by Snarl Furillo at 5:53 PM on August 13

Universities definitely. I work at a university and we've got tons of admin jobs that meet this description.
posted by JuliaJellicoe at 6:55 PM on August 13

« Older I have 3 weeks of free time be...   |  Looking for ideas of really gr... Newer »