Marriage-related charities?

My fiancé and I would like to make our first joint gift to charity around the time we get married. It would be nice if the charity is marriage-related in some way. We're already aware of and are considering organizations that promote marriage-equality, but are also looking for other ideas. (For example, we found one that works to prevent child marriage, and others that help survivors of domestic abuse.) Other suggestions -- preferably specific recommendations -- along these lines? US-based would be the most convenient.
posted by redlines to Society & Culture (4 answers total) 5 users marked this as a favorite

Soaring Spirits International is an organization for widows and widowers.

The Liz Logelin Foundation assists widows and widowers in the first year after a spouse's, usually unexpected, death.

Not that you want to think about this possibility as you get closer to your wedding, but these organizations honor and assist the living spouses well.
posted by zizzle at 6:02 AM on August 11

There are nonprofit organizations that help people with terminal illnesses pay for weddings, that might be appropriate.
posted by steinwald at 6:12 AM on August 11

Here are 5 in the Washington area.
posted by Mchelly at 6:15 AM on August 11

posted by steinwald at 6:12 AM on August 11 [+] [!]
An example is Wish Upon A Wedding.
posted by learnsome at 4:35 PM on August 11

« Older I work at a school, and I'm tr...   |  Some time in the mid-to-late '... Newer »