Slim Fit Bike Shorts

Any recommendations for a brand of cycling short that has a longer leg and a bit of a slimmer fit than the standard MTB/touring short, but still keeping their casual style?

I'd like to be able to take it on long rides, but still feel comfortable and not out-of-place when I'm off my bike. I've seen this thread, but I'm hoping for a little less focus on padding and a little more focus on fit and style. Pockets and a thicker material are preferred.
posted by Think_Long to Clothing, Beauty, & Fashion (5 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

You might like swrve's shorts.
posted by pullayup at 6:54 AM on August 6

I'm a huge fan of Outlier. I just did RAGBRAI in their New Way Shorts, so 440 miles in 7 days. They still wear like new.

For a few years I was really digging swrve, but the quality of the products has dipped with time. I wouldn't trust a pair of the shorts to last longer than a summer of solid riding, whereas all the Outlier gear is made of bomb-proof materials - I've been riding a pair of shorts and dungarees from them for a year, and they have yet to show any kind of wear.

The downside of Outlier is the small production runs - they do make a longer-legged version of their shorts, but nearly everything they make sells out within a few weeks, or even days if you're in the more common sizes. Still, I watch the website like a hawk and subscribe to the newsletter, and keep a little fund in the bank so I can buy when the gear I want is in stock.
posted by rocketman at 7:17 AM on August 6

Are you a man or a woman? I wear Twin Six's three quarters knickers, but they're out of stock for women. If you're a man you're in luck though -- they have the two quarters shorts and three quarters knickers. They are thick, well-made, and have pockets.
posted by Marit at 7:21 AM on August 6

I'm a male, 31" waist
posted by Think_Long at 7:23 AM on August 6

I think the usual solution is to wear the normal shrink-wrap lycra shorts while riding, but carry baggy street shorts in a pannier or jersey pocket and change into them when you get off the bike. Does this not work for you for some reason?
posted by d. z. wang at 9:16 PM on August 6

« Older I work in an extremely stressf...   |  Our 27-week twins were just di... Newer »