Short Story Searching...

Its a story, set I believe in Boston, about a woman, perhaps in the wake of divorce or break-up, who goes to a some kind of therapist who doesn't touch her; she just lies there and he "feels" her energy. She's not sure if its a scam or not but keeps going. Ring any bells?
posted by RandlePatrickMcMurphy to Writing & Language (3 answers total)

Wait, therapists usually touch you!?
posted by destructive cactus at 10:37 AM on August 1

Different in a few ways, most importantly that it's a massage therapist who does touch the protagonist, but your description reminded me a little of Lorrie Moore's "Terrific Mother."
posted by in a dark glassly at 12:33 PM on August 1

Huh, the first thing that came to mind for me was Lorrie Moore's 'Paper Losses', which you can listen to Gary Shteyngart read rather wonderfully here on the New Yorker fiction podcast. The masseur puts hot stones on her back (and is named, incidentally, Daniel Handler).
posted by EXISTENZ IS PAUSED at 8:18 AM on August 2

« Older Yeah, so this relationship did...   |  I'm nearing the end of police ... Newer »