Change your mind on a job offer?
July 31, 2014 1:18 PM Subscribe
I was recently given a great job offer (about two months ago). I declined for a variety of reasons, but I am realizing that I may have made a mistake.
The position was the same role I am in now (which I enjoy). It likely included an eventual move to Australia.
I was not sure if I wanted to do that since the culture of Sydney seemed a little behind tech-wise (which has been confirmed) and not sure about the career path for a female inside the company. It was just general intuition based on the people I was talking to, and there were some reviews on Glassdoor that mentioned that. I raised it when I was evaluating my offer, and they reassured me otherwise, but I wasn't convinced.
I was not sure about the role and company, and I was in middle of interviewing for one I was really excited about (which I didn't get) -- and since I wasn't sure, I passed on it.
Two months later, a lot has happened that is making me reconsider:
--I was seeing myself staying at the company for another year and then applying to business school. Since then, there has been more transparency about financials, and they are not good. There also have been unprofessional behavior by some coworkers (just some sketchy stuff) and that also made me realize that it's not a good idea.
--I also realized that business school applications require a lot more work than anticipated, and I would need to prepare for at least a year so it would be two years down the line.
--I have interacted with more people who have told me more about the company's culture and growth (indirect people) and realized how good of an opportunity it was, and that I was kind of an idiot.
--I am much more open to going abroad now. At the time it was the fear of something new and unexpected, and now I am realizing that it would be a positive experience.
--I have applied to other jobs and I am realizing that the market is tough. I may have been too optimistic.
Should I reconsider? I have a tendency to have a hard time making decisions, and then regretting them sometimes. It may be a bad idea to even do this thought exercise but it really was a question of timing, and it wasn't right then and do to a lot of factors it's better now.
If I do decide 100% that I do want to do this, should I ask? Is that bad etiquette?