Looking for the Metafilter of parenting

A friend of mine just had a baby in a somewhat isolated area. She's feeling alone and in need of support. Does anyone have suggestions for online communities that are respectful, articulate, and not full of woo? She says the ones she's found have been too judgmental (posts mocking/disparaging other parents), or filled with anti-vax, co-sleeping, and breastfeeding dogma. Bonus points if it has a large number women who are the main breadwinner in the family.
posted by snickerdoodle to Grab Bag (11 answers total) 25 users marked this as a favorite

I have found the communities on hellobee.com to be really helpful, supportive and friendly. the blog itself is good as well, though it may swing a bit Stay-At-Home-Mom ish. Its so hard, you are sweet to be looking out for her.
posted by avocado_of_merriment at 7:47 PM on July 29 [1 favorite]

AskMoxie. The archives are better for information than the recent blog posts, but there's an active community on Facebook, I think.
posted by peanut_mcgillicuty at 7:53 PM on July 29 [1 favorite]

AltDotLife
posted by treehorn+bunny at 7:57 PM on July 29 [4 favorites]

Seconding AltDotLife; it very much strikes me as metafilter for parenting.
posted by iminurmefi at 7:59 PM on July 29

Metafilter is the metafilter of parenting ... there is a whole cabal of us who got hooked while stuck at home with very small babies and feeding them late at night looking for something good to scroll on our phones. :)

Also you can memail me if she wants to be pen-pals, I will online chat with her!
posted by Eyebrows McGee at 8:03 PM on July 29 [10 favorites]

Evidence-Based Parenting. The intro there:
As a biological anthropologist and science writer, I created the Parenting Science website for parents who are interested in the big picture -- child-rearing and child development considered from the perspectives of anthropology, evolution, psychology, and neuroscience.

I’ve got opinions. But who cares? What’s really important is critical thinking. Parents deserve to be treated like intelligent, rational beings.

You may be a scientist, physician, or teacher. Maybe you’re an educated, skeptical layperson who loves science.

Whatever the case, you don’t need dogma. You need evidence. You can draw your own conclusions.

So here it is: No folk theories. No preachy advice. No authoritarian pronouncements or pseudoscientific political dogma.

Instead, you’ll find my analysis of the research, fully-referenced so you know where to go if you want to dig deeper yourself.
posted by kitarra at 8:30 PM on July 29 [5 favorites]

Scarymommy.com
posted by tristeza at 9:04 PM on July 29

Thirding AltDotLife.
posted by judith at 9:53 PM on July 29

Mumsnet. It's huge in the UK.
posted by Acheman at 3:56 AM on July 30 [1 favorite]

Ask Moxie. There is also a very warm and active Facebook group.
posted by anastasiav at 5:31 AM on July 30

She might like the forums hosted by the authors of the book Baby Bargains. It's a great group and a place where the conversation is almost always respectful, articulate, and supportive. (Although it's hosted by the book authors, most of the conversation is not about buying things for your baby)
posted by snowymorninblues at 10:30 AM on July 30

« Older I really liked OpenOffice, but...   |  I am looking for decent, yet c... Newer »