When should I resign?
July 26, 2014 1:18 PM Subscribe
I'm quitting my job next month and I was planning on giving the standard two weeks notice. However, my husband has to have surgery (non-life threatening, but he'll be out of work for 1-2 weeks). If I actually gave two weeks, the first week of my notice would be the week that I'm taking time off for his surgery. So, should I wait until after I come back from his surgery and give just one week notice?
posted by anonymous to Work & Money (11 answers total)
I'm planning on giving notice on August 1, with my last day being August 15. Husband is having knee surgery on Monday, August 4, and I took off from Monday the 4th - Thursday the 7th. I've already been approved for this time off and am planning on using PTO to cover the days I'm not working. I am concerned that if I give notice on the 1st, they'll just tell me to make that my last day since I'll be gone for almost 1/2 of my notice. My last day has to be August 15, as I'm starting my new job the following week.
On one hand, I'm kind of in the school where I'm thinking "screw it, it was a crappy place to work, they wouldn't give me any notice if they were laying me off, etc." (And it really is a crappy job, complete with sexual harassment, emotional manipulation and abuse, the whole nine yards…but that's another story and the main reason why I'm leaving.) I've been at this job for around 5 years…haven't left yet because I'm one of those people drowning in student loans.
On the other hand, my current direct supervisor is AWESOME. He's always had my back, has stood up for me to the higher-ups and has been really understanding when I had to take some time off earlier this year due to an illness that landed me in the hospital. I feel like if I only gave him one week, it would be kind of a slap in the face to him, even though I work in a retail/sales environment where my absence can easily be covered by other people. He's also aware that I'm not happy with my job, as I've been applying to other positions in the company (which he has been supportive of), but my move was blocked my the next manager up the chain…they won't say it in any sort of document-able way but they don't allow women in the jobs that I was applying for, even though I more than qualify.
If I did give notice on the 1st, there is a very real chance that they'll say that the 1st is my last day. While losing that PTO and the pay from the 2nd week in August would sting, I do have savings that can cover us. Still, I'd really hate to lose two full weeks pay. So…what to do?