Vacation city recommendations?
July 24, 2014 7:53 AM Subscribe
Warmish in late November, good for walking, inexpensive. Somewhere in South America?
posted by ecsh to Travel & Transportation (7 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite
I'm thinking of taking a trip in late November or early December. I'm female, American, 30, and will likely be alone. I speak Spanish well (aside from not knowing much slang), have gotten by in Italy, and could probably function in a Portuguese-speaking country.
The best trip I've taken was a week alone in Amsterdam. I stayed in a hostel and picked one or two things to see per day, then set out on foot and stopped by anything that looked interesting on the way. I'd be happy to go back there, but I'm looking for options that might be cheaper and/or warmer. Seasonal affective disorder hits me every winter so it would be nice to be able to wear sandals and capris, even if the ocean isn't warm enough to swim in. Beach access would be a plus but is not a strict requirement.
I might only be able to stay a few days, so this is probably not the time to fly to Australia from the east-coast US (DC metro area).
Things I like:
- art museums; favorite is modern, least favorite is portrait galleries
- street markets
- ruins and old houses/churches that are open to the public
- architecture in general; I'm currently very interested in buying and renovating a house
- gardens and arboretums (arboreta?)
- pedestrian-friendly with lots of casual/street food sprinkled among points of interest
Things to avoid:
- hewing to a timetable and constantly checking public transportation schedules
- massive, tightly packed crowds (hello panic attacks)
- camping; I need daily access to modern indoor plumbing
That said, carrying all my stuff in a backpack the whole time would be fine. I'm interested in something like Mayan or Aztec ruins but not sure how to handle transportation to remote locations or arranging tour guides (if necessary) as a single traveler. Joining a tour group for a day would be fine, but I don't want to be stuck with a group of strangers for my whole trip.