Can you help me decipher and rectify my InDesign CS5 pre-flight errors?
July 23, 2014 1:49 PM Subscribe
I've spent the last several months studying Creative Suite 5, print production, and pre-press and now I'm trying to put it all to work to get a dozen digital art pieces (mostly made in Illustrator > InDesign, but a few also using Photoshop) print-ready for art proofs and eventually web offset printing. The images are either 6x9 or 11x17 if that matters.
The list of errors I keep getting, and as much context as I can provide, are within.
posted by Violet Blue to Media & Arts (4 answers total) 4 users marked this as a favorite
1. RGB IMAGES GOING INTO CYMK COLOR SPACE
I set the color through Bridge, choosing North America PrePress 2/U.S. Web Coated (SWOP) v2. This error occurs with photographs (of which there are few, and which I know are RGB native always) but it's also happening with process color choices as well. How do I fix this? And what additional settings do I need to click in order to make things work?
2. OBJECT HAS TRANSPARENCY APPLIED
This would be for objects/colors coming in from Photoshop or Illustrator. I know transparency can be difficult to print, but am I unable to print any transparency not created in InDesign? Can someone give me a clear overview of the do's/don'ts here?
3. BLEED/TRIM HAZARD
All dozen images have full bleed, and I arranged all of the opaque color blocks in InDesign, or imported images created from Illustrator/Photoshop, done at full size. I tried playing with the pull bars. And I tried changing the "fit to frame" options, but I can't get rid of the message. What am I doing wrong?
The bonus point section:
(1) Where can I find free or cheap high resolution photos for additional sample designs, other than Morgue File? I know I need more practice with this, as evidenced by the face that all of my photo resolutions in Pre-Flight came in at effective screen, rather than print, resolution.
(2) Does anyone know of a good image size translation calculator, going from pixels to DPI online? My Google skills aren't helping here.
(3) Finally, anybody have any suggestions for a good print service provider in Manhattan where I can get cheap digital art proofs?
I seriously appreciate your help!