Academic Dress in Hot Weather
July 22, 2014 6:26 PM Subscribe
What should a young male academic wear when it's hot?
posted by HoraceH to Clothing, Beauty, & Fashion (11 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite
I think I've figured out what to wear when it's cool: I typically wear dark blue jeans, brown leather boots and a dark green/brown tweed jacket. I like this outfit because:
1. It's smart enough for the academic environment, but not excessively smart (as a suit would be).
2. Both tweed and denim are hard-wearing.
3. Dark blue and brown suit me given my eye-colour, skin tone etc..
4. Dark blue and brown hide the odd bit of mud or bike grease.
5. The outfit doesn't require much effort. For example, jeans don't need to be carefully ironed.
6. I'm an outdoorsy person (I like hiking, mountainbiking etc.) so tweed suits me.
Now I want to figure out what to wear when it's hot. I like wearing linen, but linen trousers don't last nearly long enough.
Too formal is better than not formal enough. I like old-fashioned.
I'll shortly be moving to the bay area.