Me want cookie! Actually, just the cookie dough from Ben and Jerry's

Ben and Jerry's chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream is fine, but I've realised that what I really like about it is the cookie dough. Do they sell their cookie dough separately?

I've tried the usual supermarket cookie doughs (Tollhouse, Pillsbury) but I don't really like any of them as much as the Ben and Jerry's stuff. I just read this article about how they make their cookie dough and now I love it even more, as there's no raw egg concern and weird baking soda taste. What's a cookie dough monster to do?
posted by ashworth to Food & Drink (12 answers total) 8 users marked this as a favorite

There are loads of recipes out there for raw cookie dough without eggs. I made this (vegan, but you wouldn't know it) peanut butter chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream the other day and it was great; you could make the raw cookie dough in, like, 2 minutes plus a little chilling time. There are also several recent cookbooks that focus on the stuff, like Lindsay Landis' Cookie Dough Lover's Cookbook or Lara Ferroni's Cookie Doughlicious.
posted by bcwinters at 6:23 PM on July 21 [7 favorites]

I've never seen it sold separately, but if you're willing to make it, I have this book from Ben and Jerry's and it has a recipe for chocolate chip cookie dough as part of a chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream recipe. It has 1 egg and 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda, but I suppose you could just leave out the baking soda since it's not needed for leavening and use a pasteurized egg like the HuffPo article says. (I have no idea about the flour treatment). I can scan it and send it along if you'd like.
posted by jroybal at 7:13 PM on July 21 [1 favorite]

Bakerella makes Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Truffles from the Cookie Dough Lover's Cookbook.
posted by blacktshirtandjeans at 7:38 PM on July 21

If you want to experiment with more supermarket brands, Trader Joe's cookie dough is a bit higher-quality than Pillsbury/Tollhouse since they use real butter instead of margarine/palm oil/etc.
posted by needs more cowbell at 9:50 PM on July 21

Me want cookie dough too, but it doesn't have to be Ben and Jerry's, just the cookie dough that they make for ice cream in general. Would this be acceptable and if so, do they sell "cookie dough toppings" without the ice cream anywhere?
posted by serena15221 at 9:54 PM on July 21

You could also search for recipes like this that are homemade versions of the ice cream, and just skip the ice cream part and make the cookie dough part--it's not meant to be baked so leaves out the eggs, baking soda, etc.

It seems like I have also seen something like this for sale once...but I cannot remember where.
posted by freejinn at 10:31 PM on July 21

Wait, it might have been these candies I am thinking of. They do not really look good though, but maybe someone else has tried them and can give a review?
posted by freejinn at 10:35 PM on July 21

I've never actually tried this product, and I don't know if it's available near you, but you might be the target audience for gourmet edible cookie dough by The Cookie Dough Cafe.
posted by Faint of Butt at 4:58 AM on July 22

When I was pregnant I NEEDED to eat raw cookie dough, and discovered that the egg whites that are sold in cartons are pasteurized, so if you use those in whatever recipe you like you can safely eat it raw. Also, some frozen yogurt places where you add your own toppings and pay by the weight have the cookie dough balls as toppings, so maybe you could fill up your bowl with those?
posted by Safiya at 8:49 AM on July 22

Silly question, but when you try other cookie dough replacements, are you freezing them first to replicate the texture of Ben and Jerry's? Or coating them lightly in vanilla and cream to replicate the subtle addition of flavor added by the actual ice cream?
posted by grog at 9:19 AM on July 22 [1 favorite]

Also, some frozen yogurt places where you add your own toppings and pay by the weight have the cookie dough balls as toppings, so maybe you could fill up your bowl with those?

That's where I recently had this! I think that's going to be your best bet. Any froyo place like that will let you sample the dough, and they will gladly sell you a cup-full because it probably costs them less per ounce than the yogurt. (At least the one near me never seems to care that I basicly get a cup of chocolate jimmies with a dollop of yogurt.)
posted by Room 641-A at 10:23 AM on July 22

These are great answers, thank you! It hadn't even occurred to me to look at vegan recipes or use pasteurized eggs. I suspect the frozen yogurt toppings will be my first stop, since it's the perfect lazy person's solution :)
posted by ashworth at 11:20 AM on July 23

« Older I have a lot of cream cheese. ...   |  Hi, I'm looking for some kind ... Newer »