What is this phantom litter box smell?
July 18, 2014 5:41 PM Subscribe
How can I eliminate (or mask) a weird smell in my house's A/C?
posted by justonegirl to Home & Garden (6 answers total)
I recently moved into a very well-maintained townhouse and have been noticing a weird, faint, intermittent smell that seems to be coming from the vents as the A/C runs. It kind of smells like a litter box. I notice it most often when I'm hanging out in my master bedroom since I spend most of my time there, but have noticed it when I was in the living room, too. I rent this home, but would prefer to address this problem myself if possible, without involving the landlord. Any ideas for getting rid of this smell?
In case it's relevant:
- House is probably 30 years old, but in great condition (owned and leased by a contractor)
- I keep my house immaculately clean, and have no pets (but two kids)
- When I moved in I had the upstairs carpets cleaned and deodorized with some kind of anti-microbial additive (this was a month ago, so very unlikely it's anything to do with the carpets); I've also tried Febreezing my bedroom carpet and linens but that didn't help, nor have the plug-in air fresheners I've tried
- It's an end unit, connected on just one side, and my understanding is that the connecting neighbor is very particular about her house - no chance she's an animal hoarder or anything weird like that
- I keep my A/C running at all times, usually set at 69 degrees - I like it very cool and am also trying to keep the humidity down; I also run a dehumidifier in the basement
- Vents are located on the baseboards and the bedrooms all have ceiling fans which I've kept running most of the time
- House is in Maryland, so moderately warm climate right now (85-95 degrees in summer)
Finally, for what it's worth, the smell isn't super horrible, but enough that if I did have a litter box, I'd definitely be rushing to clean it. Also, I'm starting to feel a little paranoid when I have company in my bedroom - I spend way, way too much time cleaning my house for it to smell anything less than awesome!
Thanks for your help!