Bar Exam is quickly approaching, so I'm going to focus on what to wear.

I need a "lucky bar exam" t-shirt. Not one that says, "this is my lucky bar shirt", though.

Should be:
a) purchasable on the internet so that it gets to my metropolitan US location before August 28.
b) humorous or ego-pumping, but definitely not offensive (for boring levels of offense)
c) can be law related, but not required
d) except re the law, not so obscure or related to some deep fandom that randos (and me!) would have to know to get.
e) I don't really care how much it costs, but no prada, etc, t shirts.
d) if its super soft that's awesome
You know, you're basic, "I'm taking this scary scary important test so I'm gonna wear my kick-ass t shirt" t shirt.
[yes, I'm sure the bar I'm taking doesn't make me wear a suit]
OK, back to studying.
posted by atomicstone to Clothing, Beauty, & Fashion (22 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

Make your own? I used CustomInk for a one-off shirt. Very happy with the results. Pretty easy site to make the design yourself. Good luck on the exam!
posted by hydra77 at 3:54 PM on July 18

Capcom has an Ace Attorney Zazzle store.

Or maybe a My Cousin Vinny shirt? I know "I can't help but do better than Vinny" was a useful study mantra for me.
posted by asperity at 3:58 PM on July 18 [1 favorite]

Latham & Watkins famously got dinged in a 1988 fee dispute when the opposing side presented photos of L&W paralegals dressed in t-shirts that read "Born to Bill." Maybe get one of those made.
posted by The World Famous at 4:29 PM on July 18

Saw this today. I like this. And, maybe get a polo shirt monogrammed with the name of your favorite tv* lawyer or firm, or Dewey, Cheatham & Howe. LLBean does polo shirts & monograms.

* Stern, Lockhart & Gardner
McKenzie, Brackman, Chaney and Kuzak
Robert Donnell and Associates
Crane, Poole & Schmidt

posted by theora55 at 4:33 PM on July 18

Better Call Saul!
posted by The World Famous at 4:41 PM on July 18 [3 favorites]

Ok, I'll be the downer. When I took the bar, our shirts weren't allowed to have writing. So check that on the big list.
posted by freshwater at 5:00 PM on July 18 [1 favorite]

If you can have writing, you can get a shirt that says "tortfeasor," which is pretty great.
posted by freshwater at 5:00 PM on July 18 [2 favorites]

ABE LINCOLN, PATRON SAINT OF LAWYERS, PUNCHING A T-REX
posted by bleep at 5:25 PM on July 18 [1 favorite]

What size do you take? I have a couple American Apparel women's "baby Ts" in I believe size small, with law Latin terms and definitions on the back (sui generis and res judicata); if you're allowed something with that much type, and they fit, I'd be happy to mail them out!
posted by HoteDoge at 5:26 PM on July 18

You don't need words, just a big picture of a shark.
posted by steinwald at 5:26 PM on July 18 [3 favorites]

Be the sandwhich
posted by bleep at 5:32 PM on July 18

Here is a good shark t-shirt.
posted by steinwald at 5:36 PM on July 18 [1 favorite]

Trust me, I'm a Juris Doctor.

Good luck! I don't doubt your commitment.
posted by sparklemotion at 5:46 PM on July 18

August 28? Are you taking it a month after everyone else?

I don't know if superhero stuff is too far into fandom for you, but -

Amazon has a bunch of t-shirts featuring my favorite fictional attorney, She-Hulk, and there are also shirts for Daredevil, and even one with Two-Face.

If you want to aim higher, they also have Judge Dredd.
posted by bile and syntax at 6:15 PM on July 18

Email the Lucky Bar and ask if they sell t-shirts?
posted by Rumple at 8:41 PM on July 18

Beast mode.
posted by AppleTurnover at 10:00 PM on July 18

I'd try to track down a Harvey Birdman shirt.
posted by deludingmyself at 6:36 PM on July 19

I just want to clarify, isn't the exam July 30ish?
posted by peach23 at 7:10 PM on July 19

Yes, yes, yes-end of July. It was a funny slip because I do not wish to do this bar prep for another month.
Thanks for advice!
posted by atomicstone at 9:32 PM on July 22 [1 favorite]

so, what'd you wear?
posted by theora55 at 1:39 PM on July 24 [1 favorite]

Waiting for train to exam. Purchased/packed sweet retro-y she-hulk t shirt. She's wearing a leotard, but is surprisingly, well...realistic is the wrong word bc she-hulk. But she's got giant quads. Thanks!
posted by atomicstone at 12:40 PM on July 28 [2 favorites]

Follow up! I had awesome superpowers in my she-hulk shirt on day one when I needed it. Hopefully. Who cares, it's over. (And I didn't have any of those softexam upload issues. Phew) Would wear again. Well, will wear again since I own it. Now I'm going to get drunk and fall asleep.
posted by atomicstone at 5:32 PM on July 30 [3 favorites]

« Older Driving from New Jersey to Cle...   |  Hi! Was wondering if anyon... Newer »