Your snack ideas, please!
July 17, 2014 5:08 PM Subscribe
With the help of a dietitian, I've been doing quite well in my effort to eat healthier and lose some weight. However, I need some more snack ideas before I get too bored of what I've got!
posted by synecdoche to Food & Drink (17 answers total) 46 users marked this as a favorite
One of the things the dietitian asked me to try, and that has worked very well, is keeping a box of snacks at work. I sometimes bring some stuff from home, but having things handy at work has made me choose much healthier options when I snack. Often what I have in the box is the basis of the snack, and I'll bring in something small from home, too, like fruit or cheese or yogurt.
The only other "rule" I have is that the snacks combine either fruit or vegetables or whole grains with some form of protein.
Some examples that I have:
- Berries and yogurt (obviously I don't keep this in a box in my desk)
- Raw vegetables and hummus and some cheese (ditto)
- Homemade trail mix (dried fruit with nuts and seeds)
- Whole grain Ryvita crackers with Laughing Cow cheese
- Whole grain crackers with cheese
- Banana and natural peanut butter
- Slice of whole wheat bread with peanut butter
- Apple with cheese
I'm looking for a little more variety, though. I've found a number of suggestions involving, for example, a boiled egg, but that's a no go for me--I cannot stand hard or soft-boiled eggs. I've also never been able to get into cottage cheese. Meat is fine. Cheap is good, too.
What other tasty snacks can I have that combine fruit/veg/whole grains with protein, are portable, and I can have on hand at work?