Austrian Florafilter: help my friend ID this plant?

Can you name this lovely flower/plant?

My friend spotted it at about 6,000 feet in the mountains of Southern Austria or Northern Italy (S├╝dtirol Dolomites). It is her new favorite plant, and she's trying to identify it. The ask the experts apps have not been able to ID it yet, and the hivemind has rarely let me down on one of these... any guesses? It's hard to see but there are small violet flowers in the shadows of the purple leaves. Thanks!
posted by hungrybruno to Science & Nature (3 answers total)

Bartsia alpina, also called "velvet bells"? There's a picture on this page taken from the same general location.
posted by dayintoday at 3:05 PM on July 15

It looks like Ajuga pyramidalis, a species of Bugle. The depth of purple and the hairiness of the leaves seems to be quite variable. Another picture and another.
posted by Azara at 3:17 PM on July 15 [2 favorites]

It put me in mind of Ajuga reptans Brauhernz (which it is not). Ajuga does seem to grow at alpine altitudes.
posted by Solomon at 6:22 PM on July 15

« Older I'm not sure how to ask this q...   |  Fellow sons and daughters of M... Newer »