Newbie's guide to Peru? Lima + Cusco + possibly Puerto Maldonado
July 13, 2014 12:44 AM Subscribe
First time to South America and trying to not get anxious about it, says the person with GAD.
posted by Hawk V to Travel & Transportation around Peru (4 answers total) 6 users marked this as a favorite
It's going to be my first time travelling to Peru or South America, or doing any adventurous travelling in general. I've done some travelling, but usually had it organized by someone else, or it was just by myself exploring highly developed cities where everything could be Googled.
I'm travelling to Peru in January, and I'll be accompanied by a Spanish-speaking friend. I'm hitting up Lima, Cusco (+ Machu Picchu of course), and possibly Puerto Maldonado (+Lake Sandoval). And here comes the questions!
1. I plan to do the 2 day Inca Trail in Machu Picchu. What are reliable tour agencies to deal with? And booking the package with them means that they will procure the necessary individual permits from the government, right?
2. How long does it take to get from Cusco to Puerto Maldonado by air? And is going to Lake Sandoval accessible enough from Puerto Maldonado? Is it possible to do Puerto Maldonado as an overnight trip?
3. What are other cool things to check out in the general vicinity of Lima, Cusco, and Puerto Maldonado?
4. Do you have any general tips for a first time to Peru/South America traveller?
5. If you have any anecdotes and experiences regarding travelling while managing GAD, those are welcomed too.