Truffle mania

I have just discovered that I love truffle-infused foodstuffs. So far, I have had popcorn and cheese, and macaroni and cheese that were all sprinkled with truffle goodness. What else is out there that I absolutely have to have?
posted by roomthreeseventeen to Food & Drink (23 answers total) 11 users marked this as a favorite

TRUFFLE BUTTER IT'S BUTTER WITH TRUFFLES PUT IT ON ALL THINGS
posted by elizardbits at 1:13 PM on July 11 [1 favorite]

French fries (or roasted potato wedges) with truffle salt. Truffle oil on bruschetta (the basic olive oil + roasted bread version; haven't tried it with tomatoes.) Lentil soup.
posted by jetlagaddict at 1:13 PM on July 11 [2 favorites]

Well I will be following this question because I discovered the same thing.

But here are my 2 suggestions: Cheese infused with truffles or truffle oil. I don't know where you live, but I discovered this at Murray's cheese in NYC. Tasting was free (and boy did I buy more).

Also, truffle salt.
posted by Wolfster at 1:14 PM on July 11

Buy a bottle of truffle oil. Sprinkle a few drops onto basically anything savory as a finishing oil; salad, soups (especially chilled soups, for some reason, gazpacho or vichyssoise), mashed potatoes, french fries.

Also, make compound butter with either truffle or the oil, and put that on whatever you like (e.g., put a pat of it on a steak, spread it on toast, whatever.)
posted by gauche at 1:14 PM on July 11

Scrambled eggs.
posted by bgrebs at 1:15 PM on July 11 [3 favorites]

I made deviled eggs with truffle oil once. They were insane.
posted by Ideal Impulse at 1:18 PM on July 11

Parmesan french fries with truffle oil. Yes.
posted by jessamyn at 1:20 PM on July 11

Wolfster, I live in NYC, and discovered delicious truffle cheese at Fairway.
posted by roomthreeseventeen at 1:23 PM on July 11

Pizza. Edit: yes, get the truffle oil.
posted by cestmoi15 at 1:45 PM on July 11

Really potatoes in any form are delicious with truffle oil. I also drizzle it over roasted asparagus, and roasted cauliflower. Truffle butter on steak is delicious. Truffle oil over omelets or scrambled eggs (if they have cheese in them make sure it's a more mild cheese so it doesn't fight the truffle). Truffle over white pizza (especially potato pizza). Hell, just drinking it straight from the damn bottle. I love truffles so much.

For the record Trader Joe's also has really delicious truffle cheddar.
posted by dithmer at 1:46 PM on July 11

You can make the most mundane grocery-store-made soups and pizzas taste a lot more savory and rich by drizzling truffle oil on them. (A lot of bad "fancy" restaurants use truffle oil to cheaply gussy up what would otherwise be bad dishes, which is one reason why the stuff has a pretty bad rap in culinary quarters.)

But, beware. After an infatuation period, you will get sick of the stuff, because all foods with truffle oil taste pretty much the same: like truffle oil. Like sriracha, or like ketchup, or like red pepper in a salad, truffle oil is the bully of the meal. It drowns out other flavors rather than complementing them.

Think of it as a condiment like ketchup rather than a finishing ingredient like olive oil. Resist the temptation to use it on foods that have interesting or subtle flavors on their own.
posted by painquale at 2:03 PM on July 11 [1 favorite]

One of those things being a foie gras hamburger.
posted by Short Attention Sp at 3:04 PM on July 11

are you willing to take recipes? I have a great recipe for bacon & truffle oil mac & cheese that originated with Tillamook back like ten years ago.
posted by janey47 at 3:31 PM on July 11 [1 favorite]

Recipes are great. Thanks for all this, everyone.
posted by roomthreeseventeen at 3:32 PM on July 11

Years ago in San Francisco I bought some truffle honey. It was bonkers on brie'd crackers.
posted by Lardmitten at 5:40 PM on July 11

I had a little truffle oil in pesto recently and it was SO GOOD.
posted by gatorae at 7:07 PM on July 11 [1 favorite]

I bet you could put truffle salt in chocolate.
posted by aniola at 7:25 PM on July 11

Mushroom soup. Yes, put mushrooms on more mushrooms! It's amazing :)
posted by ananci at 8:25 PM on July 11

Seconding aniola. Put truffle salt on good quality dark chocolate. Heaven.
posted by ootandaboot at 9:33 PM on July 11

Last year we did a truffle dinner with a couple of friends. Our aim was simple food that brought out the truffleness of the truffle.

We got a hunk of black truffle and stuck it in with some fresh duck eggs for a week or so. We then made fresh pasta from the eggs.

We shaved the truffle and mixed it in with some unsalted Lescure butter. The good stuff in truffle is fat soluble (according to a chef friend), so you need something fatty like butter to bring it out properly.

We tossed the truffle butter through the truffle pasta and served it, with the remainder of the shaved truffle on the table along with some shaved Regiano for sprinkling on top.

Do I need to add that it was truly epically awesome. Even our friends' three-year-old loved it.
posted by damonism at 3:01 AM on July 12

Just so you know, that flavor that you're calling 'truffle' probably isn't actually truffle anything, but instead 2,4-Dithiapentane, a component in the flavor of truffles. It's artificially made and infused into olive oil. There's nothing wrong with it at all if you enjoy that flavor, but unless you've had actual truffles, my recommendation for what you should absolutely have if you liked previous other truffle flavored things:

Actual truffles.
posted by ZaneJ. at 4:02 AM on July 12 [1 favorite]

Actual truffles (black truffles, anyway — I've never had white truffles) aren't as truffly as "truffle" oil, so there is actually a significant risk of expensive disappointment (a lot of what good chefs do with truffles is about truffles enhancing the flavour of other foods, rather than dishes tasting of truffle per se). Truffle salt (at least the truffle salt that you can get around here) does have actually truffle in it, but it's supplemented with artificial truffle aroma.

But, as ZaneJ says, there is no substitute for actual truffles. Lucky for me it's truffle season here and local truffles are for sale everywhere. Although, at $3 a gram, not really the sort of thing you can eat every day.
posted by damonism at 4:44 AM on July 12

Since you're in New York - The Filling Station in Chelsea Market is a good source for truffle salt/oil.
posted by ethand at 5:10 AM on July 12

« Older My kids are going to a day cam...   |  My wife's Canon 5D MkII seems ... Newer »