Ye Olde Weekend Getaway
July 11, 2014 7:30 AM Subscribe
Heading to Staunton, VA for a little anniversary getaway/Shakespeare nerd-fest in a few weeks. Aside from a show and tour at the reconstructed Blackfriars (which I am BEYOND excited about), what should we not miss?
posted by Dorinda to Travel & Transportation around Staunton, VA (9 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite
We have a backpacking trip planned for a few days before we get to Staunton, so our outdoor/hiking needs are well taken care of. We're now looking for things to see and do in "downtown" Staunton on Friday/Saturday/Sunday morning, since we're only in town for two nights. We love:
- food (I'm vegan and GF, he's mostly vegetarian, but we're otherwise adventurous and generally good at making non-veg menus work for us)
- used bookstores
- quirky/unique shops
- farmer's markets/artisan markets/makers markets
- museums, historic sights, and other geeky/touristy things
- fun/unique bars/watering holes
- strolling and window-shopping
We're staying within walking distance to the theatre, and would love to not have to drive anywhere. We'll also have our pooch with us, so suggestions for dog-friendly parks etc. are also appreciated!
Thanks for the suggestions, friends!