Whiskey and weddings go together like.....

I need a fantastically witty but short phrase that plays on some combination of whiskey, aging whiskey, a barrel, manhattans, marriage, and love.

So my very dearest friend is getting married, and I am planning to get her and her man one of these awesome customized whiskey aging barrels from the local whiskey distillery (shameless plug - if you live in Pittsburgh, go take a tour/tasting, they are awesome). They both love whiskey and drinking manhattans, so I think they will really dig this. I'm going to include some un-aged white rye and also a bottle of bitters as part of the kit.

So my question is, can you help me think of a great, witty, whiskey- and love-related phrase to put on the barrel under their names and wedding date? The sample on the website says "Blend and age with love", which is pretty damned awesome I think, but I'd like to be more original if I can. My only (cheesy) idea so far is "Grow old....with whiskey!". But yeah, that's totally lame-o.

Help me, hivemind!
posted by tryniti to Food & Drink (13 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite

This might not be exactly what you're looking for, but this is my favorite pun ever and I can't resist the urge to drop it in a whiskey/love question:

"She was only a whiskey maker, but he loved her still".
posted by rinosaur at 7:43 AM on July 9 [7 favorites]

Everything is smoother with patience, love, and sharing.
posted by bfranklin at 7:44 AM on July 9 [3 favorites]

Love, age, drink. Repeat.
posted by tafetta, darling! at 7:54 AM on July 9 [5 favorites]

May your love age in a barrel of kindness & generosity.
posted by entropone at 8:06 AM on July 9 [1 favorite]

You might stylize the Manhattan recipe as a toast, something like:

"May your water of life hold but dram of sorrow, and a full measure of sweetness."

(Water of life: whiskey [in Irish Gaelic, uisce beatha, which means "water of life"]; measure of sweetness: sweet vermouth; dram of sorrow: dash of bitters.)
posted by gauche at 8:08 AM on July 9

The devil takes its cut, the angels take their share, what's left is pure heaven - in whiskey and in love. Drink deeply and be fulfilled.
posted by patheral at 8:48 AM on July 9 [3 favorites]

There's an Irish toast that starts:
"May your glass be always full"
which can obviously be read in both a literal and figurative sense.
You could also adapt it maybe,
"May your glass be always full, of whiskey and of love"?
posted by billiebee at 9:52 AM on July 9

These are all great guys! I will say, based on the size of the barrel I think I'm probably limited to <10 words, so the shorter, the sweeter.
posted by tryniti at 10:07 AM on July 9

Another nice one might be "May this forever bring warmth to your hearts"
posted by bfranklin at 10:07 AM on July 9 [1 favorite]

Something about love/relationships and whiskey both getting better with age?
posted by insectosaurus at 11:22 AM on July 9

It's very simple, but this situation reminds me of the song "Drunkard's Prayer" from the same-titled album by the group Over the Rhine. Check it out and see if you like it?

You're my water
You're my wine
You're my whiskey
From time to time

posted by spelunkingplato at 11:56 AM on July 9 [1 favorite]

Eat, drink, and be merry, for tomorrow you may diet.
posted by janey47 at 12:49 PM on July 9 [1 favorite]

In sunshine and in moonshine.
posted by argonauta at 7:35 PM on July 9

« Older My wife and I will be visiting...   |  Hi Everyone We need a syste... Newer »