Make outlook.com addressbook accessible to another outlook.com account?

I have set up an outlook.com account to use as a centralized addressbook, accessible by my other email accounts, devices, partner's devices etc. However I can't make it available to my partner's outlook.com account.

I've tried the outlook settings:
Inbox > Options > Import email accounts > Other email provider
but it comes up with the message 'Importing emails from another Outlook.com account is not supported.'

Any suggestions? (A centralized gmail addressbook is not really an option)
posted by Kiwi to Computers & Internet (2 answers total)

Have you considered switching to actual hosted Exchange accounts? Doing that would be admittedly not free but would give you real Exchange features, such as shared folders and address books and such. Microsoft does this themselves, and there are other companies that do this as well.

Additionally, have you tried just straight up adding the second outlook.com account as a full account? I'm not entirely sure this is possible (I don't use outlook.com) but it may be worth a shot. It would allow access to everything in your account, though.
posted by mrg at 8:08 AM on July 8

Okay, if you're okay with having to do this from time to time to keep your contacts in sync, you can do this manual process:

From the account you want to export contacts from:
  1. Go to people.live.com and log in with the account you want to export contacts from. (Side note: you can also reach this site via the little down-arrow next to the Outlook.com logo in the upper-left corner of outlook.com.)
  2. Choose Manage > Export for Outlook.com and other services.
  3. Save the file in a location that you can get to later.
From the account you want to import contacts to:
  1. Log out from the account you are exporting from, if you haven't already.
  2. Log into people.live.com again, this time with the account you wish to import accounts to.
  3. Click the button on the main panel labeled "Start import".
  4. Click "Outlook.com" as the source to import from.
  5. Click the "Browse" button and pick the file you saved from step 3 in the previous set of steps, then click "Upload".
  6. Follow the instructions provided on the following screens to complete the rest of the process.
As a note, the export process saves a CSV file which you can load up in most spreadsheet programs, if you want to massage the list of contacts to import before importing them.
posted by Aleyn at 4:16 PM on July 8

« Older Found an unopened jar of Vegem...   |  I know that asking "Why i... Newer »