So that ended...abruptly.

What happens to reality show people? I sometimes watch brainless reality tv. And I'm not talking about Survivor or Big Brother...I'm talking straight up trash tv.

Recently I watched this train wreck of a series called "Wait Till Next Year". So it ended after a year, and I was all "wait, did the fat kid make varsity next year? Did Ed go to prison? Did Ashley go to college? What about Amanda? What about Yanni?" Why do I care about this?

So...where can I find about this without having to follow them on twitter

I can't believe I'm asking this question. I mean, I'm asking for a friend.
posted by hal_c_on to Media & Arts (16 answers total) 7 users marked this as a favorite

Sometimes contestants on crappy reality shows end up as contestants on even crappier reality shows.
posted by Faint of Butt at 4:21 AM on July 7 [1 favorite]

The Onion's AVClub has a fun series called expert witness which is described as follows (direct quote from the site):

In entertainment, an awful lot of stuff happens behind closed doors, from canceling TV shows to organizing music festival lineups. While the public sees the end product on TVs, movie screens, or radio dials, they don’t see what it took to get there. In Expert Witness, The A.V. Club talks to industry insiders about the actual business of entertainment in hopes of shedding some light on how the pop-culture sausage gets made.

Some columns:
- What’s it like to be a contestant on The Amazing Race?
- What’s it like to have a reality show fix your house?
- What goes on behind the scenes of Project Runway?
- How reality TV gets “written”
posted by jazh at 4:39 AM on July 7 [13 favorites]

Considering it sat of the shelf for two years before being broadcast, you may never know.

"Thing is, the series, which began airing in November, took about five years from the original concept to the actual debut. And that includes two years when the show, which had been filmed and edited, gathered dust on an MTV shelf."
posted by FreezBoy at 4:41 AM on July 7

I'm still in the dark about what happened to the terrible people on Gallery Girls; I've been able to track down some info via Twitter and Instagram, but nowhere else, because apparently I am the only person still thinking about this show.
posted by quadrilaterals at 5:32 AM on July 7 [3 favorites]

A recent This American Life has a segment on the first star of the truly horrific Susunu! Denpa Shōnen. The short version is that after being forced to live alone in an apartment for over a year, naked, subsisting only on things he could win in sweepstakes contests, and slowly losing his mind in front of the camera, he now scrapes by making appearances where he recreates his TV persona, getting naked and acting like he's losing his mind.
posted by milk white peacock at 6:00 AM on July 7 [2 favorites]

Surely the players, or some of them, have social media sites - e.g. this seems to be your Ashley Haas.
posted by mmiddle at 6:13 AM on July 7

Sometimes the Survivor Sucks forums have a lot of this type of information on various shows, scroll down to "Other Shows that Suck".
posted by Grlnxtdr at 6:36 AM on July 7 [1 favorite]

I have a friend who was on a reality show, and from what I can gather it's rather normal for former contestants/cast members to try to make a living as "celebrities" at least for a while. Of course, as these things proliferate people care less and less that someone was on Real World Season 9.
posted by slkinsey at 6:42 AM on July 7

One of my friends won a NY-based reality show. She's still waitressing.
posted by infinitewindow at 7:01 AM on July 7 [1 favorite]

i get curious like this all the time and the only successful method i've found is to search google and twitter.
posted by nadawi at 7:13 AM on July 7 [1 favorite]

A girl I went to high school with did one of those family swap shows her sophomore year. She disappeared for a month, made ten grand, then came back, business as usual. Now she directs plays up in Philly I think.
posted by oceanjesse at 8:16 AM on July 7

We have an acquaintance who was on two different reality shows. One was a design competition where she was the first one cut, the second was Wife Swap. She pretty much does exactly what she did before (artist/mom). In both cases, she came off as a kook, so it hasn't been particularly advantageous to promote her reality show history.
posted by kimdog at 9:15 AM on July 7

Sometimes they come to you!

Part of the deal for shows like Big Brother is the chance for these guys to be famous, so part of the deal comes with post-show publicity / agency support given by the TV company to try and help these guys make the most of their fame / notoriety.

Big Brother these days has switched channels to Channel 5 a mass entertainment channel owned by Richard Desmond who owns the Express a minor daily national newspaper, celebrity magazine empire and multiple interests in the "adult industry" there's always a lot of potential cross promotion which seems to serve as easy cheap content.

While outside of TV there is a whole eco-system of low rent celebrity engagements; appearances in spin off shows and club appearances, where they appear in manky regional nightclubs and gay bars for meet and greets, work in pantomimes at Christmas or are considered minor draws for promotions like opening supermarkets or bars or dressed in shiny yellow pants promoting a department store in a blustery gay pride parade through Birmingham - which is where I saw this guy!

It will hardly set you up for life but for fame hungry 20 year olds looking to get 15 minutes of fame and then go back to their lives its probably not too bad a deal in comparison to working in a call centre of whatever else they might be doing at that stage, though I can't say I'd fancy it myself!
posted by Middlemarch at 11:41 AM on July 7

Sometimes I just google people if I get curious.

For example, I thought I recognized a doctor on Trauma: Life in the ER, and it turns out that I was right!

Ditto a former bunny who was on The Girls Next Door, turned out to be Victoria from The Amazing Race, the one with the lunatic husband who treated her like shit.

So...googling can be helpful.
posted by Ruthless Bunny at 1:26 PM on July 7

One of my doctors is a reality tv star. Which I still think is hysterical. So sometimes they go back to their regular jobs - but they all seem to keep one eye open for tv gigs.
posted by crankyrogalsky at 2:56 PM on July 7

JULES ALLEN: I was always waiting for something to happen, to show the world that somehow I was special or unique, and when MasterChef happened I assumed that that was it. You think it’s just going to be this amazing mind blowing journey, and some of it is. But it also knocks you around. You’re encouraged to sort of crack open. The problem is, at the end, there’s no one there to put you back together. It’s not just MasterChef, it’s whether you’re on The Block, or MKR or The Biggest Loser. On all of them, I mean the end result is it’s a ritual humiliation on national television and the worst thing is, we signed up for it. Try reconciling that in yourself.

...

JULES ALLEN: I was a basket case really. I remember going shopping and pushing the trolley had no idea what I was doing; it was bizarre. I was thinking "What, what did I used to do here?" I had nightmares for weeks. That elimination went over and over in my head, as did a thousand other things. I was dying for the day I would wake up and not have had a MasterChef dream. Most of the contestants I kept in contact with found the hardest thing was the transition back into so-called normal life.
(Montage of nasty tweets)
From a documentary on a losing contestent on MasterChef (Australia)
posted by Kerasia at 4:39 PM on July 7

« Older I like to think that I have ec...   |  I'm chasing a men's valet box.... Newer »