Kindle Paperwhite or Kindle Fire for 10yo boy
July 6, 2014 5:46 PM Subscribe
My son has asked for a Kindle "with a boy cover" for his birthday. I anticipate that he'd be mainly using it to read in bed, but wonder what I'm missing by dismissing the Kindle Fire out of hand. He has access to the much in demand family IPad, so he's not tablet free. I am a huge, huge fan of my Paperwhite, and don't know much about the Fire. So, any comparisons? Any neat points about the Fire?
posted by Measured Out my Life in Coffeespoons to Shopping (21 answers total)
Here's the list I put togehter:
Pros of Paperwhite
- Backlight means awesome for reading oneself to sleep
- Single purpose means no distractions for reading (and no worries about leaving it with him unmonitored)
Cons of Paperwhite
- Limiting - It only does one thing, awesomely
- Collateral expense of purchasing books and or time of finding freebies
Pros of Kindle Fire
- games, ability to facetime?
- what else?
Cons of Kindle Fire
- some reservations about giving it to kid at bedtime as it might keep him up
- costrs about 20 dollars more than the paperwhite