Join 3,558 readers in helping fund MetaFilter (Hide)

Ready-made pop songbook, where are you?
July 6, 2014 6:41 AM   Subscribe

We are going to have a big campfire singalong next weekend with a group of very awesome musicians. We want to have a few songbooks available so everyone can play and sing along. Our vibe is 70s/80s/90s pop tunes. Surely someone has made a songbook of these songs and posted them on the internet. Can you please help us find it? Our google searches have turned up nothing pre-made. We know about Rise Up Singing, not really our jam (plus not freely downloadable, which we would prefer.) Thank you for your help!

We have found sites like this where you can print out songs one at a time. We will do this. If we have to. But what would be awesome is just to be able to print them all out together, in one file. This must exist, right?
posted by andreapandrea to Media & Arts (6 answers total) 4 users marked this as a favorite

Maybe one of these fake books?
posted by moonmilk at 7:18 AM on July 6 [1 favorite]

When my friends decided to start holding regular hootenannies, folks ultimately had to assemble what they wanted from scratch. It was a Google doc generated from a list of submitted songs printed out and put into binders.
posted by linettasky at 8:23 AM on July 6

Since what you are looking for is a massive copyright violation, I wouldn't expect it would be nearly as easy to find as one-at-a-time lyrics and tab sites. Anyone offering such a premade book of lyrics and changes (known as a "fake book" in the trade, and historically always illegal) to a diverse collection of hit songs by multiple artists and writers is inviting legal trouble.

And if you download such a thing you are hypothetically accountable for a violation of copyright as well, the more so if you redistribute it to friends. Odds of this happening are very, very small, but have your eyes open. The penalties are draconian, just as for illegally downloaded songs.

So yes, make your own (it's easy) and don't distribute it online.

PS: non-commercial use will not be a defense.
posted by spitbull at 9:32 AM on July 6 [1 favorite]

Have you just done an amazon search? Not downloadable, but these kinds of collections are a stock in trade of the sheet music industry.
posted by not that girl at 9:53 AM on July 6

Okay, i guess the legal thing explains why there's not more of these things out there. *sigh*. thanks for the other suggestions, we will just make one from scratch.
posted by andreapandrea at 11:11 AM on July 6

Huh? It's not free or THAT cheap, but there are giant spiral bound real/fake books readily available, that contain, say, 500 popular songs from the past twenty years. Go to a used book store and look in the music section and buy several copies of the same one.

Also, you could probably Google something like "real book pdf", and see what happens.
posted by dirtdirt at 7:52 AM on July 7

« Older We live on the 34th floor of a...   |  I need five black suits for a ... Newer »

You are not logged in, either login or create an account to post comments