What is this plant? PacNW, Gigantic

This plant lives near me and has returned for several summers. The photo was taken about three weeks ago - the blossom is now gone. The blossom was about a foot long - I joked that it was a Venus Flytrap for people. What is it?!?
posted by bq to Home & Garden (7 answers total)

Amorphophallus konjac. Commonly known as the Voodoo Lily. Not carnivorous, but like it's much bigger relative, it uses the scent of rotting meat to attract flies and meat eating beetles as pollinators.
posted by jamaro at 8:57 PM on July 5

Looks like an arum lily. I've never seen them in the PacNW, but saw them all over the Greek islands in spring. Here's some very large ones.
posted by oxisos at 8:57 PM on July 5

Actually, I take my first ID back. Looking closer at the leaves, it's a Dracunculus vulgaris.
posted by jamaro at 9:00 PM on July 5 [1 favorite]

Wow! I've never gotten too close to it so I can't testify as to smell. I wonder how it got there.
posted by bq at 6:31 AM on July 6

My horticulturist friend posted something similar to her Facebook page and called it Amorphophallus as well. I took photos of these out at Egdefield in Troutdale, Oregon, since they were so mysterious. Looks like there's a number of different varieties of this cool plant.
posted by amanda at 7:20 AM on July 6

They aren't natives but are well suited to PNW climate. A few other sightings 1, 2. Second link explains how the plant spreads.
posted by jamaro at 8:22 AM on July 6

My neighbor here in PNW has one in her garden, huge and healthy; Voodoo lily, yep!
posted by The otter lady at 1:39 PM on July 6

« Older What is the best way for a stu...   |  We live on the 34th floor of a... Newer »