Join 3,497 readers in helping fund MetaFilter (Hide)

Tags:

Buddhist Blogs
July 4, 2014 10:55 PM   Subscribe

Can you recommend some good blogs with a Buddhist perspective?

I'm 30-something, female, American, feminist, liberal -- I guess I'm the stereotype of an American interested in Buddhism. And I'm interested in Buddhism. I would love to be able to encounter more writings by Buddhists. I don't mean specifically writings about Buddhism -- I've already read some histories and what-not, and I've got a long reading list ahead of me on the subject, too. I'm interested in writings about a whole host of different topics, just written from a Buddhist perspective: movie reviews, analyses of current events, stuff like that. There must be a lot of blogs out there that do just that -- and I figured some Mefites have got to know some great ones.

Let me say, I know that asking for "Buddhist perspectives" is really broad. There are so many different kinds of Buddhism, etc. I'm afraid I don't know enough to narrow down what I'm looking for any more. I would definitely benefit from blogs that are newbie-friendly. What I really am hoping for are regularly-updated sites I can add to my RSS feeder that will offer me the opportunity to interact more with Buddhist thought and that will leave me with a greater understanding of Buddhism. (That's not a small charge, I know!)

Thanks!
posted by meese to Religion & Philosophy (12 answers total) 38 users marked this as a favorite

You might like Wise Attention, which is more about Buddhism than "Buddhist perspective", but it does go into current events regularly.
posted by tinymegalo at 10:59 PM on July 4 [1 favorite]

zenhabits.net. Just a suggestion. Works well in my newsreader. And even so he wasn't a Buddhist, afaik, this talks about kindness and is a favorite of mine. All the best to you on your quest.
posted by nostrada at 11:52 PM on July 4

Not a just a blog, but it's a magazine too, Tricycle.
posted by redindiaink at 5:20 AM on July 5

Open to podcasts? Contemporary Buddhism at http://www.buddhistgeeks.com/category/podcast/.

There's 300+ of these and still going strong. Really smart, varied stuff, with a different meditation teacher, journalist, scholar, etc., etc., in each one.
posted by zeek321 at 6:11 AM on July 5 [3 favorites]

I love Buddhism Now. They also have an active Twitter feed, which is always full of encouragement.
posted by jbickers at 6:26 AM on July 5 [1 favorite]

A contrarian perspective: Speculative Non-Buddhism.
posted by shivohum at 7:57 AM on July 5

Hardcore Zen.
posted by infinitywaltz at 9:26 AM on July 5

Tiny Buddha
posted by fallingleaves at 10:10 AM on July 5 [2 favorites]

Seconding Tiny Buddha. I love getting the daily emails and they really have added to & improved my perspective on life
posted by ainsley at 11:50 AM on July 5

The Mahablog is written by Barbara O'Brien, who is also the guide for about.buddhism.com. Her blog is mostly about politics, current events and religion from a politically liberal, Buddhist perspective.
posted by Serene Empress Dork at 8:09 PM on July 5 [1 favorite]

Thanks! These all look really great.

Podcasts don't work well for me, which is pretty unfortunate, because there look to be a ton of great podcasts about Buddhism out there.
posted by meese at 3:36 PM on July 6

Truthless Truth: a mix of Buddhist and eastern philosophical perspectives.
posted by Gray Skies at 4:37 PM on July 9

« Older My wife has just accepted a go...   |  I am looking for a romance nov... Newer »

You are not logged in, either login or create an account to post comments