Food intolerance test from a chiropractor, dubious at best?

I recently bought a livingsocial deal for a food intolerance/allergy test which I assumed would be bloodwork, etc, but once I arrived to the business I was surprised that it was a chiropractor's office.

They had me fill out the new patient form then I met the chiropractor, who simply had me lay down and straighten out my arm while my other hand (or fingers) were placed on some sort of flat metal instrument. At this point I was confused since he wasn't really explaining how he was coming to any conclusions or analysis. Anyhow my finger was placed on various metal strips on some sort of flat panel and he quickly went through each and told me I was allergic to dairy, and wheat *which I already told him I suspected I was anyhow at the start of my in person session), and then went over some basic guidelines to lose weight and reduce the yeast in my stomach which was responsible for sluggishess etc. He then sold me some supplements for people with candida, to reduce the yeast in my body and urged me to stay away from white rice, sugars, wheat and dairy (which anyone could benefit from) and sent me on my way. I was in and out so quickly that I didn't have time to think about the entire session but obviously it's not what I expected. Can anyone out there verify that his method of accessing any food allergy or intolerance is actually valid or debateable? Or is this an obvious display of quackery and was I simply duped?
posted by HonestAsian to Health & Fitness (13 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

Or is this an obvious display of quackery and was I simply duped?

Yes.
posted by yohko at 1:42 PM on July 4 [37 favorites]

+1 for Yes, duped.
posted by 724A at 1:46 PM on July 4

Was it a machine like this?
posted by showbiz_liz at 1:50 PM on July 4 [2 favorites]

If it looks like a duck.....
posted by St. Peepsburg at 1:54 PM on July 4 [3 favorites]

Yes, totally pretend and fake non-medical procedure, sorry.
posted by elizardbits at 1:54 PM on July 4

Yes, I guess that was it. Thanks for the link. Here is one I found that perfectly describes my experience.
posted by HonestAsian at 1:57 PM on July 4 [1 favorite]

If you're interested in food intolerance testing Science Based Medicine did an overview. Its conclusion is as follows:

At present, there are no reliable and validated clinical tests for the diagnosis of food intolerance.
posted by 26.2 at 2:14 PM on July 4 [8 favorites]

In the future, know that in general medical procedures are not sold as online bargains, and be very suspicious of any offer by someone who you aren't already a patient of to sell you diagnostic tests.
posted by yohko at 3:14 PM on July 4 [7 favorites]

Yeah, sorry, that was not a real test.
Here is a description of how legit allergy skin testing works.
posted by Adridne at 3:42 PM on July 4 [2 favorites]

Quack-tastic. These tests are not legit, and in fact often dangerous, because people who don't question the results often end up following chiros/naturopaths for things like elimination diets and have real medical problems that go for far too long without being properly diagnosed.
posted by honeybee413 at 4:46 PM on July 4

Yes to both. Don't buy 'discount' healthcare.
posted by His thoughts were red thoughts at 4:46 AM on July 5

Chiropractors are not doctors and do not provide food intolerance/allergy testing.

Allergists are MDs.

You got duped by a quack. You should probably report him to your local medical licencing authority for providing diagnoses for which he is a) unqualified, and b) not in possession of the actual equipment required.
posted by feckless fecal fear mongering at 9:37 AM on July 6 [2 favorites]

I supported chiropractors on another recent AskMe, but this is the charlatan side of the field. Definitely a quack.

I visited a chiro once in college. He asked me to take my shirt off and hold a can of green beans while he pushed on my arm. The resistance told him that I had a sinus infection and needed cow brain pills. That guy was a nut too.
posted by tacodave at 3:53 PM on July 7 [1 favorite]

« Older There was a distributed denial...   |  Is there a musical term for a ... Newer »